gear linkage adjustment 02a

Discussion in 'Engines' started by andyj, Nov 1, 2005.

1. andyj Forum Member

Hi guys,

Has anyone got a guide to adjusting the cables on an 02a gearbox ?!?

Got a crunching 2nd gear above 3krpm, and I'm going to change the oil and try the Redlin MTL stuff. But a mate has suggested that I try adjusting the cables to.... but I haven't got a clue how to do it !!!

Cheers,

Andy

2. rradogolfman Forum Member

found this on the CCA site I think, had it stored for a rainy day ...

============================================================ =====

Thanks for those (especially Todd!) who helped me with the shifter linkage adjustment. The procedure is really straightforward. History: The car was shifting perfectly until one day when someone whacked my shifter, which made it out of alignment (long story.) Symptoms: The shifter was not centered and shifting from neutral to third is not dead on. (It should shift to third from neutral with VERY little force; you should be able to just slide it to third with your pinky finger.)

Fixes: 1) Gently pull up the shifter console, there are 2 tabs at the bottom which holds the console in place. 2) There are 2 13mm hex bolts in the shifter assembly. I loosened the wrong bolts at first; it should be the bolt that is located on the shifter between the spring levers. 3) Loosen the bolt and adjust the shifter until the side-to-side movement/tension is about equal AND you can slide the shifter DIRECTLY upward from neutral to third gear. Make sure you retighten the bolt for each try. Results: It makes a huge different in shifting!! Shifting to all gears are much more precise like it was before the "incident". If after adjusting the shifter and you still have problems, you will need to adjust the cable. The following are the steps outlined by Todd@AWE: 15.

If further adjustment is required, either have your VW dealer perform the adjustment, or do it yourself. CABLE "A" (Driver side): if pushing down and to the side on the shift lever to go into reverse, and it gets hung up on the reverse lockout, then this cable needs to be adjusted. Note the position of the cable end to the transmission lever on the transmission. Loosen the bolt and slide the cable toward the front of the car in small increments until the lever does not hang up on the reverse lockout. Retighten the bolt to 18ft/lbs. CABLE "B" (Passenger side): if 1st or 5th gears are hard to get into, then this cable must be adjusted. Note position of cable end on transmission lever. Loosen the bolt and slide the cable rearward in small increments for better alignment for 1st gear. Slide the cable forward for 5th gear alignment. Retighten the bolt to 11ft/lbs. Thanks!

robbed off of the corrado forum, :clap:

3. andyj Forum Member

Ta very muchly Olly ;)

Will read, digest, and ask loads of questions !!! ;)

4. andyj Forum Member

Something has just flicked a light switch on in my head..... :clap:

It's only been crunching 2nd since I swapped the gearknob..... wonder if I accidentaly knocked it out of alignment.... [:s]

Will check it out at the weekend!

5. rradogolfman Forum Member

6. andyj Forum Member

You're a star mate !

Will check it out tonight, and get the clips ordered for Saturday! I get discount at my local dealers to ;) Not the 4p discount is worth shouting about !!!!:lol:

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

if its a cable change you want mt90 not mtl, and your syncor is prob buggered if it grinnds over 3k....mines rank as well

8. andyj Forum Member

That's what I'm thinking :( Hence thereplacement'box on standby! But for 25 it's gotta be worth trying the MT90 ! ;)