Gear selection issue - need part name

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Urmas, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Urmas New Member

Hi,

Car had a clutch change and had not been driving for about a year almost.
    Car in question 1994 vw mk3 16v gti (ABF) with 02A gearbox.

I just did a 2000+km trip to the UK, and the car had not been driven for quite awhile. During the trip everything was fine and no problems with gear selection. Only thing that gave out was the heat guard on the engine cracked and started rattling.

My gearbox linkage or how do you call it mechanism has been adjusted before and was working very well for it's age and all the gears selected effortlesly.

During the trip something started rattling - I was afraid it was the exhaust, but turns out it was the heat guard of the engine which has a crack in the bottom now. The gear linkage does go scarily close to it, but it's wrapped up all nicely.
    Anyhow. Driving slowly I couldn't select 2nd gear anymore (2days after the trip), it just wouldn't lock/click into place. When I stopped, I could get it into 2nd gear nicely. But when car is moving - no.
    Today had a m8 help me try sort it out - but no luck. Tried adjusting the 2 levers on top of the gearbox. But with all the playing - No reverse or no 2nd gear or neither. Reverse would go forward if you adjust it too much to one side and 2nd works nicely. The thing is, if selecting gear from interior, sometimes it does not push the gear all to the end, like 1cm short, You can of course push it in by hand. Ended up calling it a day, after giving one of the levers half a twist to make it shorter - worked for 5minutes testing it slowly. But as I drove off, again wouldn't slip into 2nd gear and actually 4th doesn't lock as well now. So I am left with R, 1st,3rd,5th. And the thing is sometimes 2nd gear would click nicely, but if I put it in 5th first.
    I wanted to try and search for a replacement part in ebay, but I'm not having too much luck, as I am not sure how to call the lever mechanism....

Any tips, suggestions are very much welcome as I am not too bright in the mechanical departement :(