gearbox advice

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GTI, Apr 21, 2004.

1. GTI

GTI Forum Member

as i appear to be in need of a new gearboc for my valver i have a few choices open to me. i've heard people say 'the mk3 16v box is much better than the mk2' and i'm wonderring if someone could shed some light on this. i guess they go for more money too. what are the differences and is it worth shelling out for the mk3 box?

2. H8SV8S Forum Member

The Mk3 02A is a total pile of A$$ behind a 16v. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole unless I had a VR6.

It's backward: 1,2,3 are too long and fifth is crap on the motorway. It also shifts like a pile of cr@p compared to a rod-change and the throw is massive!

That enough reason not to touch one? As soon as I can afford it, I'll slot a new 6spd into my Ibiza and it might have enough torque to pull over 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

anyone know what the code for a mk2 golf 16v gearbox is?

4. mr purple Forum Member

M216V box code is 2Y, put an 8V box in ACD code, very similar to the valver box. The clutch will need changing as the splines are different.
    Edited by: mr purple

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Thanks for the info. That's what I though it was.

I've got an 8v box but don't want to use it because of the lower ratio of 5th gear. Besides, my clutch is brand new and I'd rather not waste it.

6. prof Forum Addict

yeah mk3 ratios are poo unless you have a turbo