Gearbox change for novice?!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Viper, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Viper Forum Member

I have some mechanical knowledge and do most things on my car myself but need to change gearbox over and wondered whether or not i could attempt it myself. Seems pretty straight forward and realise i'll prob have to raise engine out but any other hints or tips? ;)

Thanks for any information!

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If you lift the engine out it's a very simple job. If you don't it can be a bit of a bugger. Just awkward, not technically challenging.

3. Joe_G Forum Member

Just had mine out. Only real trick is actually getting the box out when everything is disconnected. Trick is to rotate it so the diff is uppermost then it should clear the subframe easier. Oh and remember to remove ALL the bolts attaching the flimsy plate thing to the box [:$] [:o)]

You'll need the car on axle stands and a trolley jack under the sump to move the engine up and down.

Joe

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

you'l also need a mate to help lift it...you can lift the box alone but you soon get tired lifting it

5. Golden Forum Junkie

The main thing is, which was completely missed from yet another piece of inaccurate advice in The Golf + (+ :lol: whats the +) is that you turn the engine so that the large cut out in the outer edge of the flywheel lines up with the drive flanges. This will help you get the drive flange past flywheel.

[​IMG]

6. Admin Guest

rob do it!!! don't give max the money :lol:

7. dohc Forum Member

mine turned into a bit of an epic wrestling match - bit like croc fighting! came out in teh end and was a zillion times easier to get back in with eth benefit of seeing what not to do...

you might like ot drop the short drive shaft, put the steering on full lock (left) and tie it out of the way (forwards).

you'll really want to take the pressed steel support jobbie and cast alu' mount bracket off from the dif housing...

break a leg, as they say.

8. Viper Forum Member

Okay cheers guys. Will give it a go when I find one.

Thanks a lot.