Gearbox Crunches in 2nd.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jonno, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Jonno New Member

Hi all again!

Also we recently had a gearbox problem (was apparently a factory fitted booster gearbox which totally crunched itself to death!), and since it grinds everytime you change from 1st to 2nd gear, unless the revs are low. It doesnt happen however coming from 3rd to 2nd etc. Any ideas, does this mean the garage have fitted it wrong, or it just another faulty gearbox? Please help! I dont want her to sell the car and get one of these Mitsubishi Colts! [xx(]

2. danthevan Forum Member

Clutch feel alright??
    Could be like the old pugeot boxes, they used to do that before it was due to go bang !

3. V25 DUB Forum Member

this is common problem on Mk1's and Mk2's, it is a worn syncronmesh that causes this. I had the same problem on my Mk2 but I would not be to woried as it does not mean your box is about to go, mine started about 60,000 miles ago and I am sure other people with Mk1/Mk2 will tell you they have gearboxes that have been doing this for many miles. You just learn not to hammer from 1st to 2nd.

4. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

or stick on a weighted shift rod from a mk3 rod box - 11.70 from VAG

the extra interia created dampens down the scrunch

5. Jonno New Member

Hi all,

thanks for your advice on this, much appreciated!

Jon