Gearbox diff up the duff help.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by bosshogg, Dec 21, 2003.

1. bosshogg New Member

[:^(] Just been given the news my 16v kr mk2 golf has
    a damaged innerbearing driveshaft(diff side)i was told
    a recon gearbox would be a cheaper way than an overhaul.
    I do have an 8v(pb)gearbox could i swap the diff housing
    over to solve the problem. Well chaps whats the verdict
    on this one.

2. daviddd Forum Member

8V box no probs - hardly any diff in gear ratios - but will need an 8V clutch to go with it.

3. bosshogg New Member

Ok but could i just use the diff housing from the 8v
    gearbox to bolt on to the 16v gearbox to overcome the
    problem.

4. jake Forum Member

ther is a bit of difference in the ratios, I cant remember exactly how much, the 16v is lower geared to make the most of the high end power, the 8v is biased towards the lower revs and mid range grunt so it higher geared. The input shaft is biger on the 16v so you'll need a clutch from an 8v. sadly you cant bolt the diff case on to the 16v box and you might be able to build all the 16v guts into an 8v case but I bet you a quid the bearings are bigger and the casting differ in very subtle ways....

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I'm not quite sure what you mean by an "innerbearing driveshaft"??

Are you sure it isn't just a broken brass thrust washer at the diff flanges. These often break and give a wobbly flange that looks like a duff bearing. Couple of quid for a new washer and its sorted.

As for the casing, it comes in two halves. There is no separate diff part that unbolts. The diff case is integral to the main case.

The half of the case that houses most of the gears is identical on the 16v and 8v boxes. The bellhousing half is different due to the larger 16v input shaft as already stated.

The diff ratios for the 16v and 8v are both 3.67:1, but the 16v has a different part number for the pinion shaft. I'm sure the crown wheel is the same tho.

If you are going to open the box anyway, then you'd just replace the broken bearing (if thats the prob) rather than fit parts from another box.

Obviously the easiest solution is to fit the complete 8v box.

Up to you.