Gearbox draining and filling

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by benlg81, Aug 1, 2007.

1. benlg81 Forum Member

Hi All

I have a 91 mk2 1.8 driver with 140K on i was just wondering what gear box it will have and also how easy is it to drain the oila nd replace.
    i dont think this has ever been done so what would be the best oil for a gear box with 140k on the clock?

Cheers

2. ChrisM2S Forum Member

The Haynes manual is rubbish for this, its well too vague. I was going to do my 1.6 driver myself but I dont want to cock it up.

3. benlg81 Forum Member

how much do a garage charge then? is it really that hard? i dont even know the gearbox in mine any ideas?

4. muppet9966 Forum Member

This is the same with my 135,000 car, no idea if the gearbox oil has been changed, or if there is any oil in there :lol::lol:
    Mine doesnt crunch or anything, I just dont want to mess it up.

5. benlg81 Forum Member

same here hopefully someone can shed a bit of light

6. Broke Forum Member

I have an Oil Change page on the site in my sig that covers the 020 trans types.

Broke

7. muppet9966 Forum Member

Cheers Broke

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i recommend you do a search on here as a few people have ended up putting oil into the inspection hole!

9. muppet9966 Forum Member

Seems simple enough. Just dont put anything in the inspection hole.

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

With the kind assistance of this thread, and Broke's site [:^:] , it seems I may finally get round to this job this weekend :thumbup:

Just been ferretting around for M10 bolt and nuts to make me a 17mm 'undoer'.

Well done folks, thanks a lot.

11. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

use the speedo cable hole to fill it, saves have to remove passenger side wheel to gain access to refill

12. benlg81 Forum Member

Cheers guys is that the right gear box for my 1.8 driver 91.

13. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I've read that if you lose 5th gear, its because there's not enough oil in the gearbox.

I had a slight gearbox leak and considered refilling the box, but after reading that, couldn't see the point. Though the gearbox on mine was replaced in 2003. :)

14. benlg81 Forum Member

i have had trouble getting into 5th recently it only happens every now and again

i think this job will have to be done soon

15. Broke Forum Member

Correct. There is a 5th Damage Page on the site in my sig that shows what happens.

It isn't instant damage, it is from being ran with low oil. If you see it leaking, and you add some, it isn't low anymore.[:s]

What might be a damaged bearing and nothing more could turn into a stripped gear and damaged shaft splines. From a $5 bearing to a $400 R&P set:lol:

If you have a wet oil pan from leaking motor oil, do you just ignore it after that? I know you've heard an engine without oil is damaged;)

Broke

16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Progress on mine today. Those fill and drain plugs are stubborn little suckers though. Required the application of leg-muscle power as I didn't have the best tools [:$] . Got both loosened though, after a bit of a battle. Unfortunately I managed to buy the wrong oil yesterday (GL5 spec) and the place I got it from can't get the GL4 version 'til Monday.
    Gotta think I've done the hard bit though :) . Wish I'd got one of my colleagues to weld a nut on my M10 bolt, as the two nuts locked against one another wasn't ideal...

17. benlg81 Forum Member

you'll have to keep me updated with this pete i think i gotta tackle this sooner than later

18. Drew21 Forum Member

I use a wheel nut with a ring spanner, ie the hex bit of the wheel nut is just about wide enough to fit in the plug and have enough room for the spanner. And then kick it...!

...always take the refill one out before the drain one to make sure you can refill the box before you drain it.

19. muppet9966 Forum Member

Well after a 100 mile drive to Leicester, my gear change became stiff and abit hard.
    Looks like I will have to change my gearbox oil alot sooner (ie tomorrow) than I thought.

Does anyone know the spanner/allen key size to drain the gearbox oil and to fill through the speedo hole?

Also I'm abit worried I may loose the cog on the speedo cable, is it secured to the cable?

Thanks in advance.

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

17mm across flats. GSF do a tool I believe, or you could borrow my welded-up M10 bolt/nut combo if you like. I shied away from using the speedo hole for fear of losing that gear. If you can undo the drain plug, you can undo the fill/level plug.