Gearbox engine mounts...

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Tubthumped, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Should the late 16v (like mine) have that arm that goes from the gearbox mount to the end of the gearbox (the 5th gear cover) or not?

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

yup, but I didnt use one and didnt notice a problem. With your track record I'd want all the saftey of a brace machined from tool-steel. :lol:

PS was it you that has problems with bearings giving up all the time? (cant be bothered to search) I just remembered that the torque figures Haynes and Bently give are wrong....

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I had fron wheel bearing problems. But replaced it today and found that the inner hub was worn at an angle, so that was killing the bearing.

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

Ah that'll do it!

If your interested it was a post where Golden set the record straight about hub nut torque figures being quoted as too much in the usual books.

5. Joe_G Forum Member

Umm, bit of a thread hijack but what are the hub nuts on a Mk2 meant to be done up to then???

Joe

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

i'm missing the support for my bearbox, had one on back order from vw for months now, seems to be ok without it but i'd rather fit one just to be sure.

i've killed my n/s front wheel bearing so would also be interested in finding out the correct torque value for them,

tub, was it glaringly obvious (sp?) thet the inner hub was fuct? i could have a similar problem as the bearing not very old.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Yes... The inner hub pulled out with NO effort and the race of the bearing didn't come out with it.