Gearbox mods - what ratio???

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GolfNut1, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GolfNut1 New Member

I race a mk1 rally car, with an 020 5 speed, i have just bought a quaife and im thinking about how to get rid of that "hole" between 2nd and 3rd gear.
    Almost everyone i have talked to who has ever owned or raced a golf knows of the hole, where you hit peak power in 2nd gear, and then pull 3rd gear and drop below your power band. I assmue i want to increase the 3rd gear ratio, being a 5 speed i assume the box has the 1.44 3rd gear, i can not find any other golf boxes with a higher 3rd gear (in the later models it appears they increase 1st, lower 2nd and lower 3rd). A longer 1st gear would be nice, but then this would bring other issues for 2nd and 3rd.

has anyone solved this problem?? or got any advise

thankyou!
    -Jamie
    Edited by: GolfNut1

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have an AUG code mk2 8v late spec box. This has a longer 2nd gear making 3rd come in higher in the rev range. 2nd is a bit too long now though. Use the 3.94 final drive found in boxes like the 2H or 4S boxes to make all your gears shorter. It sounds like you have a 2Y 16v box.
    Gear box ratios

3. GolfNut1 New Member

I actualy have a custome made 4.28 final drive, that site is brilliant! i think i am going to have to strip one of my 4 speed boxes for a 1.94 2nd gear, will the 2nd gear out of a 4 speed fit into a 5 speed???

A longer second gear would be perfect me as i am still severly struggling for traction in 2nd.

cheers
    -Jamie

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

what cars have the 2H or 4S boxes fitted?

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

4S box is from a mk1 1.6 gti. 2H, mmmm not sure.

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I think that all 8v gears are interchangable on the rod change boxes due to them all having the same size output shafts or something. Dont quote me on that though.