GEARBOX MODS

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KEVIN GTI 16V, Jan 6, 2004.

1. KEVIN GTI 16V Forum Member

WHAT SORT OF GEARBOX MODS CAN I DO IN MY MK2 16V? :lol:

2. jake Forum Member

Swap the 5th gear ratio so you dont rev the tits off it on the motorway, bolt the diff and remove the rivets or just fit a quaife, recon the syncro hubs fit new seals and some nice oil. Spherical joints on the linkage and new bushes/bottom ball joint, maybe a weighted top shift rod, short shift kit and a new clutch cable. One well modded box...Luverly!

What do you want from it?

3. KEVIN GTI 16V Forum Member

well i was thinking of lightening the flywheel and adding a paddle clutch!what do you think?

4. jake Forum Member

its a thought but the stock clucth is pretty good on a 16v and if you fancy a bit more bite then you can get a sprty one from Sachs or another 'reputable' brand. Paddle clutches will probably be too snappy to drive in traffic. Lightening the flywheel is a good idea to a certain extent.... there is a lot of arguments for and against.
    Here is a good lot of info on the principles, and there was a good discussion about the downsides on here a few munce ago.

5. KEVIN GTI 16V Forum Member

how much is the sporty clutch?who stocks one?by the way i wanna lighten it a little bit

6. jake Forum Member

Cant rememeber off the top of my skull how much they are , all the usual places will stock them I'm sure, German Car Comp. Awesome, etc... look them up in a golf mag, they usually list prices.

7. prof Forum Addict

stock clutch is fine as tubs said earlier forget everything you read in fastrevsmaxstroke magazine and you'll be fine

8. Jettin' Forum Member

Put a 2.0L 16v pressure plate on the standard clutch and you will be fine.

I said 2.0L 16v pressure plate, this is the one that does work. The 1.8 16v is the same as the 1.8 8v.

9. ereeiz Forum Member

i thought the 8v plate was 180mm and the 16v 200mm or something? (I assume that reffers to the thickness of it)

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Fit a lower final drive, you'll love it. Cheaper that engine tuning, and much more effective.

11. jake Forum Member

to do that the cheapest way, get a Maestro van 'box..... sounds like a cheap joke but they have a very low F/D considering they had an old mini engine to tow everything postman pat needed. The boxes were made by VW people BTW.
    On the old forum I did a small chart with the ratios of most Leyland 020 boxes but I lost it.

12. prof Forum Addict

good thinking jake, be good for track use eh!

13. jake Forum Member

It should be.... they have the small input shaft so you'll need an 8v size clutch but I guess you can start swapping diffs and keep the big input.
    I had a look and I cant find the list of ratios anywhere. Should be on the old forum I'd guess.