Gearbox Overhaul: Has anyone...?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Rust-demon, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Rust-demon New Member

......ever rebuilt the gearbox on a MkII 8v (F-reg)?
    The Haynes manual basically says; "don't try this at home, kids"!

Does anyone know how easy/difficult the job is?
    Is there a website or manual with clear instructions?

I've taken 'boxes apart before (Ford?), but only at college...so half the bits were missing!

Comments are welcome! :)

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The Bentley manual tells how - but it's not a simple job! There's a thread down the page where Broke shows his tools for doing it.....

3. Broke Forum Member

I'm from the Vortex, so I'm a pic whore. :p

Here are some of the pics from the thread mentioned above...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to a page showing how to get around most of the tools pictured above from "Cheapass" Ron ;)

Broke

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I priced that tool earlier today to remove the bearings.........$650!!
    Think I'll make one in work [:s]

5. jc.. Forum Member

F uck me!!! Looks like a gynaecologist's surgery!!

6. Broke Forum Member

Hotgolf -- The 020 bearings can all be pulled without that tool, using a bearing splitter or a 2-arm puller, as I'm sure you know, but that VAG1582 tool does work very nicely.
    I can snap more pics of it, if you do intend on making it yourself. If it can be made cheaply enough, you might be able to sell a few, because as you said, that thing (with those 3 attachments) will run $600+ USD. I bought that one "used" although it appears new to me. All those other tools I bought new from VW, and they weren't cheap at all. [:^(] That 1582 tool though, the guy sold it for 44 :clap: It cost me $92USD shipped to me ;)

jc -- I have a good friend in London who specializes in VW/Audi (owned his own garage for about 19 years now), and he reckons working on a car is like surgery, and he stresses the need for a clean shop and "instrument" care and so on. He is always on me about keeping the garage clean here, and performing the repairs as if I was doing surgery (especially trans rebuilding), so I'll link him to this thread so he can read your comment :lol:

Broke

7. daviddd Forum Member

the parts, gears etc. are very expensive, there's still plenty of boxes in scrappies, most ofn them are likely to be in good order.....

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Thad's be VDubs in Hammersmith, then? With the 'Busa and the big dog.......
    Have you gone into business doing this now, Broke? Impressive selection of kit!

9. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

:o
    Holy Mother of God!

I was going to post a thread asking what tools I'd need to do a home rebuild.
    Don't think I'll bother attempting an 020 rebuild now.

Suddenly I'm starting to appreciate how much Stealth charges for the job....

10. Broke Forum Member

I stated above... "here is a link to a page showing how to get around the tools..."

And I totally forgot the link [:$]

Here is the link.... http://scirocco.dhs.org/cheapassron/020tranny/index.htm

Second Coming -- yeah, this guy lives in Hammersmith, but he has a Minature French Poodle, and rides a Vespa [:D]

Oh...no...wait....I'm taking the piss...I guess it is a busa and a german shepherd I call Stinky :clap:
    He is OK people I reckon ;)

Yeah, the plan is to go into business doing rebuilds, starting with the 020 boxes, and then moving to the more profitable 02A/02J/02M units....thus the reason for the large expenditure of cash for the tools.

I've also been searching for months on the best prices for OE German parts, which is sometimes tricky to find. I've ran into a load of Brazilian and Mexican replacement parts, because they are cheaper and more popular, but if I'm going to do it, I may as well do it right, using the better quality parts where I can find them.

If I was paying for a rebuilt box, I would want the better parts installed, and since I'll be offering a warranty, I prefer the parts to be as quality as possible. ;)

Broke
    Edited by: Broke

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Good plan - if you get a rep for doing GOOD rebuilds then you could be onto a good business idea. I used to talk to you on the Vortex years ago, under a different name - before they banned my IP. Still got the foxy wife and the big VW logo painted on your fence?
    Vdubs is sound, I wish he would post on here - loadsa knowledge! But I hear it's a Chihuahua and he rides a Go-ped now?
    BTW - are there no markings on the German parts Re: manufacturers? You could be able to order straight from them, and save a bit - I could always be your middle man, getting the parcels from Germany then posting them on to avoid the duty. "Oh look, I got another 100 synchro rings as a birthday gift from the UK!"...... :lol:

12. Broke Forum Member

:p :p :p

The wife totally enjoyed your comment!!

Yeah, I am not looking for volume of sales so much as I am for absolute accuracy and quality work. It is just me in the garage here in my underwear at 3am working on the trans, so my plan is to build a few boxes, have them ready for sale, and then take the buyers old trans as a core, and rebuild it for future sale.

I've been buying up old 020s from the Vortex (speaking of which, Vdubs has racked his brain, and I've been on the Vortex too long to recall everyone, so what was your username on there?!?!) for a few months, stripping them down and figuring up what can be rebuilt and what are parts boxes.

Oh, the VW logo on the fence was torn down just a few months ago, as I was replacing the fence, but a new one is currently being painted. I think I am going to go with the old KDF logo, the VW logo inside a 14-tooth cog wheel.

Vdubs is OK people, a tad bitter, but otherwise OK people ;) He certainly does know his VWs, and I have had the pleasure of watching him work, and you can just tell he knows what he is doing and has done it before.
    He has receny become disenchanted with the Vortex, because of people not being grateful or using common sense, but the Vortex now (150K users) is not the Vortex from a few years ago, I remember when it was celebrated that the Vortex reached a mere 5000 users! More people means more idiots and more trolls. [:x]

As for the German parts, I do know the brands I am after, and I have been in contact with them, but often buying direct from the mfg requires a huge order. I am forced to go down the chain and pay higher prices, but I am getting the smallest of discounts at some places, because I have bought enough parts for 5 boxes.

Some of the items I have no choice on....like the 1st gear sync ring. LASO makes the syncs in the 020, and they still make the 2-5 gear rings, but no longer produce a German made 1st ring. I am forced to use a Brazilian brand, RFI. Same with the puck seals in the drive axle flanges... I have OE VW pieces, but they are Hungarian. I cannot find KACO (the German maker of the majority of the seals) units.

Everything else is German, and those items not marked Germany came direct from VW, so I can only rely on thier choice of manufacturers. I'm using Timken (actually these are likely going to be US, France, England or possibly Canada built bearings), FAG, and INA bearings, LASO syncs, and KACO seals. The bolt kits I am using are Peloquin brand Pelolok kits.

I appreciate the offer of being a parts guy, one day I might take you up on it! I have tried looking into buying from a German parts store, but so far have not had any luck finding somewhere to buy from. I'm not even sure if the parts would be cheaper after their VAT, customs, and shipping is taken into account.

If you get a chance to visit Vdubs, do me a favor, and knock that Busa over. I think it might be a tad too much moped for him :lol:
    (You can bet your ass he is reading this anyway, so say 'Hello')

[:D] :lol:

Broke - American Vortex Whore [:$]

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Exactly.I've been on the vortex since it started. More 16 year olds telling him he has no idea what he is doing - I don't post, but I still read.... ;)

If I'd known you were over this side of the sea I would have invited you to stay in sunny Ireland - and Vdubs too, and all his cars, but not his 'tache....... ;)

14. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I know you don't need the tool, I've been rebuilding these for ages, I've made a tool for the job, but would always be nice to have some Vag stuff, although the prices are off putting, unless as you said you can get the second hand cheap...which is a rarity over here [:^(]
    As for Stealths prices?? Ask Tubs on here ;)