Gearbox problem....again

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by g60 pb, Mar 19, 2004.

1. g60 pb Forum Member

Figure this one out, if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. I went to change in to fifth gear from 4th..as you do, all of a sudden no drive. I pulled over and called the RAC figuring even if I can see whats wrong I've got no tools. Speak to Tub on the phone, since hes wrecked more boxes than I've had McDonalds meals. When the RAC arrive, we check the clutch lever workswhich it does and then check the gear linkage which also seems to be working as it should. Theres no nasty smells, funny noises or pools of oil under the car. You can put it in gear, leave the clutch out and start the engine. You can put it in gear(ish) with out the clutch and theres no grinding noises.

I'm confused, is it likely its something internal to do with the gear selector? Since its a 2nd hand box that was fitted yesterday...I was more worried about trouble with crunchy second gear and noisy bearings more than anything!! It worked great to start with, but the shift got more notchy and difficult the more i drove it.

Oh yeah, its a normal rod change GTI box, not a cable change.

Cheers
    Edited by: g60 pb

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

not something daft like a rod falling off..or the clamp gone loose...

3. g60 pb Forum Member

i thought that, but the linkage moves OK unless its come loose and doesn't move far enough.

Could it be the thrust bearing stuck? It went as I was re-engaging the clutch after changing gear? Just a thought

4. danthevan Forum Member

What was the gearbox shaft like?? Splines ok? Pressure plate ok??

What about disconnecting the gear linkage from the box and try and whack it in gear by hand, then see if its engaging with the engine?

Edited by: danthevan

5. g60 pb Forum Member

I'd assume, all those were OK obviously can't tell without taking it to bits. I'll try diconnecting the linkage tomorrow morning when its light.

6. danthevan Forum Member

Well , at least that way you can track it down to gearbox or linkage.
    Probably worth getting someone to dip the clutch while u put it thru the gears,it'll feel feel quite stiff just doing it from the box if ya dont.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I can suggest only 2 things past what we spoke about earlier Paul.

1) Clutch is stuck open

2) That re-con gearbox is shafted inside.

8. g60 pb Forum Member

Either way after I've messed with it Jody is getting a phone call ;) Big John suggested the thrust bearing to me earlier, not heard of that happening before though but it would explain why its just like having the clutch pedal pressed constantly.