gearbox problem - mk2 16v

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by sweet16, Jun 4, 2004.

1. sweet16 Forum Member

I think I have a problem on my gearbox, but as Ive never driven another Golf I dont know for sure.

If I select 1st buy pushing left and up I set into reverse; no lift up or push down. To find 1st I have to go left/down to second and then up into first.

Is this good or bad?

2. daveybwoy Forum Member

You'll find its the something to do with the little plastic ball at the bottom of the gear stick. Its probably worn very badly.

looks like this and you can get a kit from VW. Bit fiddly to fit mind you.

[​IMG]

Might be worth getting a linkage repair kit and doing the bush on that too.

Edited by: daveybwoy

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

this is a common problem, there's a ball at the base of the gearstick which wears down into it's housing, and eventually does this. Cheap and easy to fix with the repair kit from VW.

Clicky for a full how-to guide.

4. sweet16 Forum Member

Thats good news, I was worried about the cost of a new gearbox!

And thanks for the link looks like a simple but fiddly job.

5. jaistanley Forum Member

You have to remove the exhaust and the heat- shield. Whilst you are there make sure you get ALL the bushings. The main one that requires drilling out two little rivets doesn't come in the kit and it bloody well should. I neglected mine and its the only bit with any slop. Very annoying. Will do it when I drop the engine out next.

Jai

6. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

You don't *have* to drop the exhaust, but obviously it's a bit easier to do if it's out of the way. I got the bush kit from GSF, and it does come with the main bush, as well as a pair of new rivets for the housing.

7. sweet16 Forum Member

if i decide to remove the exhaust and heatshield, will I need to buy any gaskets or fixing rubbers?

Should I do the Gear change linkage bushes at the same time?

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No gaskets or rubbers required. Drop the exhaust and replace ALL the bushes, everywhere. And the ball, and the ball-socket bit. Like Jaistanley said, it'll do your head in if you do most of them and still have a bit of play.......

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I did the lot, and the relay shaft as well (the ball was f**ked), it`s an arse of a job!

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Makes a hell of a difference though, one of the best "mods" you can do to a Mk2 in my drunken, somewhat jaded opinion.

11. sweet16 Forum Member

can you buy a kit with all the rubber bushes in?

Ive been told to get either a weighted mk3 shift rod or even an aftermarket mk3 short shift for a better feel.

12. dohc Forum Member

yep you can, tho sorry i cant recall the part number (bought my bush kit on ebay! - new kits are often on there) mine came with the rivets, so maybe there are different ones going about..

*do* get the mk3 weighted shift rod it makes big difference. you'll need to get the funny shaped aftermarket version if you have a short shift kit fitted, but for standard setup the mk3 item is ideal (which you can easily mod if you do have teh short shift kit anyway...). they cost a tenner-ish and you should ask for the weighted rod from a rod-change mk3 like the c or cl (the gti's are cable change).

you'll find it considerably easier fitting the new ball bits if you do drop the exhaust - dont forget to re-seal the joints with heat-curing gum stuff or they'll blow like no body's business when you get it back together - especially if its a 15yr old 'xhaust like mine!

last nugget: if you go straight into reverse when you should be in first, bear in mind it may not be the ball collapsing and may just be the white plastic guide (that you'd normally need to push down to get past) which may be at fault. they can come off or wear away. easiest way to inspect this is to lift the gaiter in the car and have a look. you'll see a little upward point "L" shaped bit attached to the lower part of the rod and a 2inch-ish bit of plastic riveted lengthways along the side of the aperture on the left... (sorry have no handy web space to post pics)

good luck :)

13. sweet16 Forum Member

dohc: you are right, it is only the white plastic, i assume it should be a rectangle, mine has a big hole at the bottom.

it looks like i need two screws or allen keys to replace that part very simple.

what is that part called?

14. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

the plastic should have a square cut out on the bottom and is held by 2 rivets. I'm not sure if its this that gets warn or the plastic 'L' piece on the gear selector Mine does the famous reversing trick too :)

My 8v gear linkages ...

These rivets on the linkage repair kits ? where are they supposed to go ? I seem to have them left over ;) :lol:

Also I assumed the big orange bush is for the input shaft, but I cant get the bracket that the shaft goes through off, so I got that left over too.
    Edited by: 2TonCartoon

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The rivits are to replace the ones you have to drill out to replace the big orange bush. The bush is located in the bracket that is bolted to the steering rack which holds the shift rod in place. You have to undo the clamp at the end of the shift rod and remove the lever, then unbolt the bracket and drill the rivits. Then you have to readjust the linkage after!

I took one look and thought 'boolelocks to that' and left it as the bush on mine was still nice n tight anyway.

16. sweet16 Forum Member

are you sure that the plastic piece shold have the cut out, mine would work fine without the hole. maybe the hole has gotten bigger on mine.

it looks like a simple job to fix that part first before trying the more difficult bits.

17. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

cheers rubjonny, I'll have a look tomorrow. but like I said, I cant get the bracket that sits on the steering rack off ( rounded head ), so sounds like I'll have bits over.

sweet , yep pretty sure , the cut out is square , so not something that can happen through wear (although it can become worn). Its is an 89' 8v, but would assume 16v's are the same.

I'm planning on drilling the rivets out and adjusting or replacing the plasic, cant be arsed with that "ball" thing, just to stop it going into reverse. Other than that gears are fine, well fine'ish :lol:
    Edited by: 2TonCartoon

18. sweet16 Forum Member

Id rather not take bits apart unless I can avoid it. It seems as if the cutout has been worn away towards the front making it bigger and sloped. I tried to get a pic but cant get the angel.

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The 'go into reverse without pressing down' problem is an easy but fiddly job, took me and me dad about 30 mins start to finish using this site:http://www.oxfordshirevwoc.co.uk/gearstick_fix.htm

We didn't bother with the ball as it looked fine it is most likely to be the housing thats worn, on mine it was so bad you could see through it!

20. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

cheers

I had another potch on the wkend and decided I would change the ball.

Didnt want to go through the effort of changing the ball because I assumed my gbox was on its way out (when I changed the gbox oil just after buying it, less than 1/2 litre of black gritty sludge came out). Was having probs selecting gears sometimes (even after linkage bush and oil change) after reading a few threads on here, it sounded like my gbox could be buggered.

Anyway after some potching this wkend, managed to get the gearstick lifted up, it stops it going accidentally into reverse and also the gear selection prob is a lot better, only a temp solution, but it shows that it'll be worth changing the ball.