GearBox Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Vduber, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Vduber Forum Member

hiya

on my way home tonight in the rain in the golf the clutch started to slip like crazy after about 3k rpm it would'nt go and just rev up. i went on for a few min then i could smell gear oil so i pulled over and looked under the car and to my surprise there was gear oil pi$$ing out of my gearbox. i limped home around about 1/4 of a mile and stopped where i opened the bonnent to find gear oil splashed all over my engine bay.

it was dark so could'nt see where the oil was coming from but there did'nt look to be any holes in the casing.

I'm just wondering if the imput shaft seal has gone and emptyed the oil onto my clutch to make it spin up?

has anyone else had this problem. all the gears are still there and there was'nt a bang or anything. the clutch just started spinning up.

Jack

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

What engine is it you have? MK2 gearboxes are renowned for the rivits spliting and punching a hole in the gearbox, take a good look at it from all sides to be sure there arn't any holes in it.

If the clutch still slips then it is almost definitely contaminated, best to drop the box and fit a new clutch, replacing ALL the oil seals you can get to. (False economy not to whilst it's off)

Not sure exactly what seals are required though, I'm sure someone more knowledgable with gearboxes will fill in the blanks.

3. Vduber Forum Member

kjust in the process of dropping the gearbox. looks like it will take a good few hours.
    [:^(]
    Jack

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think its easier if you take the wheels and arch liner off and use a mahoosive socket extension bar through the wheelarch to get the bolts out!
    Edited by: rubjonny