Gearbox Problems

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by bulldo, Jul 2, 2004.

1. bulldo New Member

Hello,

In need of some gearbox info.

I have two 8v MK2 GTIs (D reg and F reg) both with screwed gearboxes.

I have a 1986 ish Haynes manual that states that there is only one type of 1.8 5 speed box manufactured by VW. Is this true for both models??

I cant remember the codes, but the ones in the haynes manual definitely did not match the ones in the boot. (the D reg is an EV engine)

SOLUTIONS!?! I have (at my parents house, but i havent seen it yet) a gearbox from a 1990 ish 16V Jetta. Should this be the same gearbox or at least compatable?? What about the ratios???

Also I can aquire a gearbox from a M Reg Seat Toledo 1.9 Diesel, which my dad thinks will also be suitable for one of the beasts.

Does anyone have any idea.

Operatings begin on the 12th of July when my holidays begin.

Cheers for any info

2. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

The 16v Jetta gearbox will fit the 8V Golf, but you need to use the clutch from the 16v Jetta/Golf as well as the two gearboxes have slightly different input shaft sizes. Other than that the only difference is a shorter 5th gear in the 16v boxes. The box on the Seat won't fit without hassle, it uses a cable change mechanism as opposed to the rod change on the mk2 golf.

3. bulldo New Member

What other vehicles use the same box as my 8v's.

(I think the code in the boot is ACD - but this doesnt correspond with the Haynes which has something along the lines of 020 ?!?!?)

1.8 driver??

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

the 020 part is the type of gearbox (rod change)

you then get different code according to the ratios - eg ACD, 2Y etc

look under the bell housing, there will be a plate with GB code on - should say 020 ACD for example

there are *lots* of different ratios available, all rod change boxes fit in place of all other rod change - the only things to be aware of are the output flanges for drive shaft (some 90mm, some 100)

and input shaft dictates whether to use 8v or 16v clutch pressure plate

5. bulldo New Member

so basically I need any 020 box - and to check the drive shaft output flange.

Does this cover all MK2 gti's then?? and all 1.8 golfs??

anything else i should be on the lookout for??

cheers gary

6. Unknown Forum Junkie

You can use the box from nearly any golf with a 1.5 - 2.0 engine.

If you can wait untill the end of next week and dont mind picking it
    up from south london, you can have a close ratio GTI box (ACD code)
    for nothing.

7. bulldo New Member

Cheers for the offer but I'm doing the long treck from Brighton (Work) to Morayshire (NE Scotland - home) tomorrow to start operating on the two of them.

8. bulldo New Member

Got one of them back on the road with a 16V gearbox ACD 2Y and new clutch. Cheer martyn

Had a look at the M reg diesel SEAT and it does infact have a rod change gearbox - does anyone know what the ratios are like?? may consider it for the other 8v

By the way if anyones doing up a old MK2 and cant afford new parts that seat is pretty good for donor bits. This being my second MK2 revival its quite nice to be able to pull parts off a car that 10 years newer [:D] rather than another fct 1980's golf