gearbox problems

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by t18con, Aug 1, 2004.

1. t18con New Member

my 100k mk2 8v gti has started to jump out of 5th gear. it also has got very noisy when lifting off the power, esp in 3rd.sounds like a straight cut box. is it on its way out? also with it running the way it is , will it go bang sooner or later or is it one of these things where itll go for ever but just get noisier and noisier til you cant bear it any more?

2. NicD Forum Member

Sounds similar to when my box blew, one of the seals went which lost the gearbox fluid, it went very whiny before it blew in 5th. Thankfully it was still driveable with 4 gears to get me home. Have you inspected the oil level?

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Classic sign of low gear oil - unfortunately by the time 5th has started to jump out the 5th gear needle bearing is usually fucked.....

4. t18con New Member

stuck two pints of engine oil in it and its as good as new!!! ;)

5. mad-mechanic New Member

i wudnt of thought it wud last long wid engine oil in as it rong grade and will act diferent just be ok 4 a while like puttin sawdust in work for a while.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The damage may well be done, though. You might find it starts to jump out of 5th again soon......
    And use gear oil!

7. t18con New Member

lol it was an emergency situation to get me home!!!! and then i found it was ok on way home. so its only for week til i get the 18t back together properly. ;)