Gearbox Problems

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Julian, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Julian In Delete Queue

Can anyone help, I have 1988 Mk 2 8v that I have owned for 8 years, totally standard.
    The gearbox is giving me grief, some times I cant get 1st or 2nd, and have to get the car rolling in 3rd and then I can engage 1st, also going from 3rd to 2nd can be problem. The car has only done 110,000 miles.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Change the bushes in the linkage (costs pennies)and then realign the linkage. If that doesn't do it (it probably will, its a VERY common fault) then you might have internal box problems.

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I would first check the linkage bushes are okay, especially the relay shaft.

4. prowler Forum Member

Definitely, costs about 4 and cures the prob, unless you also have synchro probs, which can be lived with - just don't rush the gears, and double de-clutch will help. Can't afford a recon box at the mo.....

5. hi tower Forum Member

How easy is it to realign the linkage without the proper tool? Mine has had a similar problem since having a new clutch put in.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's easy - I normally put it in neutral, take off the gearstick surround. Then loosen the pinch bolt right off, and centre the stick (a used bog roll shoved down each side will hold it side to side, and you can do the back to front bit by eye). Then tighten the pinch bolt up again and see how it goes. If it's still off you'll need to do it by trial and error - if any bushes are worn the VW tool won't align it right anyway.