Gearbox rebuild?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by AndyCEB, Apr 27, 2004.

1. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Hi I am currently rebuilding my engine and am about to put it back together, I have not done anything to the gearbox as it worked well before and im kinda lazy! ;)

Anyway do you think just changing the gearbox oil will be the best thing to do? is it worthwhile and is there anything else I should do while ive got the car apart?

Thanks
    Andy

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Re-build it

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

what's involved in rebuilding a gearbox then? mine's making some unpleasant sounds and i'd planned to replace it. maybe a rebuild would be cheaper/perfectly do-able?

4. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Well not to sure about rebulding it because the first paragraph in the haynes says something along the lines of dont bother rebuilding the gearbox because of the tools youll need and also the parts are normally more expensive than a recon 'box [:s]

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Whats involved.......quite alot! And you will need some specific tools to remove most of the bearings as normal pullers just won't work for 5 of the main bearings. I've had to make my own tools specific for this kind of job. Also if you goto the big name places like TSR their labour charge will be quite hefty.

6. matt989 Forum Member

Anyone any idea of a ball park figure for a recon and fitting?

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Fit it yourself... and maybe ask someone who made his own toold about the re-build. He's a genius! [:D]

8. The Pig Forum Member

Anyone who has successfully rebuilt a gearbox to the point that it worked better than before has my admiration as I do not have the patience, not to mention the tools.

If it worked before my advice would be to change the oil for some nice synthetic stuff and leave well alone.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It is indeed a bugger of a job. Makes it a lot easier if you have a REALLY long workbench so you can lay things out the way they came off, in sequence. And a Bentley manual, as it has the procedures. And ETKA for the part numbers you'll need. And if you're changing bearings etc. you need special tools and a number of shims to set the preload....... certainly not one to do if you're just used to "maintaining" your car! I just changed the 2nd gear synchro on mine and even that took me forever... [xx(]

10. jake Forum Member

I know that hey come to bits quite easily but thats as far as I ever
    got, apart from phoning around to get a new one just after... Diff
    gears make cool candle holders for that scrap heap challenge feel to
    your romantic evening though.

11. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Candle holders??? Christ, I must have a bloody light house in my shed then! ;)

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Hehe, I have about 3 old ammo boxes full of gears from dead boxes that spat rivets - maybe it's time to build a sculpture...... :lol: