Gearbox Remedies!?!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Viper, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Viper Forum Member

Hi all. Time to bore you! My gearbox is getting really horrible. By that I mean gearchanges are really 'notchy' and not very possitive. The car has done 138k so im not surprised but wondered if there were any gearbox or linkage components that I could change 'reasonably' cheaply that would avtually help a bit. I am aware that the box is nearly at its end (told they are good for bout 150k) but need short term solution really.

Also if there are any parts that I need do you have part numbers and prices, as I will be visiting VAG in the week.

Cheers guys. Any help greatly appreciated [:D]

Rob

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You can change all the wearing parts in the linkage for cheap - I think GSF actually do a kit for it. Best bet is to ring them and ask. That and a linkage realignment should sort it out. They can be good for well past 150k, too - if it isn't grinding then there's plenty of life left in it.

3. Viper Forum Member

Okay cool. Thanks. I will ask about that. What does a linkage re-alignment involve? (Other than re-aligning the linkage ;) :p )

Cheers.

4. The Pig Forum Member

With the lever held away from you (assuming RHD) against the reverse gear gate but without pressing the lever down it should go smoothly into 1st and 2nd. If not you can adjust the linkage at the clip bolt on the shift rod so that it does. Apparently you need a special VW tool but I have always managed with a little experimentation. If it all feels loose then get the GSF kit mentioned above.

Synthetic gearbox oil will help an old box as well but will not make up for a worn or misaligned linkage. Do a search and check the FAQ section as there has been plenty written on this subject.

5. HidRo Forum Member

man,i always see "alignment and bla bla bla".but i can't figure out how to do this!does any one know a tutorial or something page,so i can learn viewing some pics!?

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

As a start - loosen the pinch bolt on the change rod in the engine bay (put the car in neutral first). The gearstick will be all floppy. Arrange it so it is dead centre in the aperture between the reverse lockout bit, and the far side of the aperture. Put it roughly in the centre in the "front to back" sense, as well. Tighten the pinch bolt, and see how it shifts. It may take a few goes to get it in the right place. Another trick which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (depending on the state of your bushes) is to put your gearbox in reverse. Then loosen the pinch bolt so the gearstick is all floppy. Wiggle it around a bit, then put it in the reverse position. Then tighten up the pinch bolt. Give it a go.....

7. HidRo Forum Member

the problem is,as i'm portuguese,some technical therms i can't really get!so,when yoou say pinch bolt...i don't really know what you'r saying...a pic would help a lot!

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The bolt in the engine bay, which holds the shift rod tightly in position - don't have a pic....