Gearbox replacement

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by prowler, May 3, 2004.

1. prowler Forum Member

Any advice on where to get a good replacement (recon) box from?
    See a lot of ads in the mags, but who is the best?

The Gti does not like going from first to second or fourth to third (obviously the old synchro problem), I can change without crunching most of the time, but obviously a new box is the answer, and I might just go for it and treat the old girl in the near future.
    Thanks guys and gals.
    Edited by: prowler

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

i just bought a s/h 16v 'box from this place:

http://www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk/

best breakers price i found, came with a 3 month guarantee and was delivered next-day. it'll be in the car tommorow so i can't say if they sold me a dog yet, but i have the guarantee and they were very friendly, helpfull, etc.

i chose to get one with a guarantee because my last box was a private sale and was shagged from the word go. its worth the extra $$$ imho.

3. Jsem Forum Member

I've just bought one from the same place. Hows yours running so far. Any grumbles?

J.

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

still waiting to get the car back from the garage (was going to get it today but decided to let them mot it at the same time), but so far no grumbles from them about the box.