Gearbox seals, driveshaft flanges

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by spnracing, Dec 31, 2003.

1. spnracing Forum Member

Anyone know what is involved in replacing the gearbox driveshaft flange seals? There's no mention of this in the Haynes manual but when I dismantled the engine/box in my Mk1 there was oil dripping out of the driveshaft UJ's - presumably both seals are leaking.

Am I best just taking the box to a local garage and gettig them to do the work? Do you need a special pull or anything to get the flange off?

2. Golfvr6 Forum Member

If it is the early type i think you need to compress the flanges in (they are spring loaded) and remove the circlip.

3. daviddd Forum Member

One of mine went during the summer - take great care not to let the box dry out - I could smell something funny once and when I checked there was barely a drop of oil in the box.

GSF sell the seal kit, it's not too difficult, in situ of course. I though I might need a puller, and it would be easier, but didn't in the event.

The procs in my Haynes, though I know there are many versions of varying length / detail.

As I recall, once the driveshaft was out of the way (make sure you use the proper 12-point drive on the 6 bolts)I removed the circlip - fiddly job but easier if you clean it up well - then (very firmly) bolted a short piece of 2" angle (drilled accurately as required) across two opposite flange bolt holes, the angle iron stuck down about 5 or 6", then I whacked it smartly with a lump hammer. It came away after just a few whacks. I then prised out the seal and fitted the new one.

If you get stuck come back on and I'll look up Haynes again and get back to you (but I'm at work just now.