Gearbox shedding its load...

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dohc, Jul 13, 2004.

1. dohc Forum Member

oh pants! ive just fitted a recon 020 2Y box to my valver and made the journey from swansea to nottingham. on my return to the east midlands i found that my gbox has shed most of its oil under the car, with it spreading itself all over the rear end and onto the nsf wheel and wishbone [:^(]

now, i must confess that i didnt check the drain plug was properly seated and just whacked in the box and filled it via the speedo hole...

the oil isnt actually *all over* the engine bay or the engine itself, but is pretty thoroughly covering the gbox and drive shafts all around. im presuming the spread underneath is due to the air movement pulling it under on the 200 mile return journey..

any ideas? a mate has rather put the frighteners up me by saying that the output shaft seals may have gone, explaining the even spread of oil [xx(]

what happens if you over fill an 020? does it kick it out and right itself (he says hopefully...).

last note: it hasnt got a hole in it, so im pretty sure its not the dreaded dif' rivets.

anyone else had an 020 gearbox pi$$ oil out all over the place? how did you fix it? whats the verdict doctor(s)?

[:s]

2. t_r_d Forum Member

could be diff flange oil seals blown if so it'll probably have spun
    oil all over the bonnet as well, this can be caused by diff
    bearings collapsing or by over filling, did you fit a new encap to
    the box? as these need replacing when they are refurbished
    and they can cause oil leaks.

if youve over filled it you've probably blown the diff flange seals
    and the clutch relase arm seal, unfortunately they dont tend to
    self right.

hope you get it sorted

3. quattro Forum Member

Best thing to do is pressure wash it off or steam clean it, check the oil level and drive it and see what happens.

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

diff pin shot out the back ? mine did the other day so we fitted a new one ! is the clutch slipping at all ?

5. dohc Forum Member

ok, ok, try not to laugh... i blatantly over filled it!

fortunately due to the knackered rubber gasget around the speedo cable hole about a litre of excess oil kicked itself out!

after buying a proper plug key for all of 1.99 from a nearby factors, and shelling out a few pence to get a new rubber seal from vw i set about draining and refilling. what do you know; but almost exactly 2litres came out - precisely the right amount (according to haynes).

so, the moral of this story is: even if you spend most of a hung-over afternoon wrestling a gearbox out *do not* rush the reinstall and fail to read the manual correctly - its a messy business!

ho hum, well a sticky uncarriage and half a can of brake cleaner later, all i can say is thank god it was the speedo seal that blew and not the diff housing gasget or something equally major!

ps: the stroppy clutch has started to calm down after a week - think ill replace the nasty self-adjust cable tho

:)

6. Mad-scientist Forum Member

Mine had been slightly leaking on my 16v as well, and there was oil crap all over the side of the gearbox. I wasnt sure if it was gear oil or if it was driveshaft grease stuff cos my cv boot had split.
    I cleaned it off and now i wish i hadnt because it has now all leaked out and its started to jump out of fifth gear [:^(] [:^(]

7. daviddd Forum Member

I have a leak somewhere around the speedo cable, though I can't see how, the end bits look fine. I'll drain the oil next weekend, measure it to check loss, and bung 2 litres back in again [:D]