Gearbox transplant

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Collie, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

Can you put a gearbox from a different golf on a kjet 8v. EG 1.3 gearbox , i was thinking it may give me better acceleration, obviously with a reduction in top end speed but i love corners not motorways so i am not arsed, any one else done this? does it work will i have to change the cluth or anything.
    cheers Collie

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Yep, they're interchangeable. If you stick with 8v boxes you can reuse your clutch too.

Ratios here

3. Unknown Forum Junkie

boxes from 1.3 and smaller engines dont fit, they are the 084 or 085 type. if you want a really low ratio set then either get a motorsprt ring and pinion or get the box out of a 1.3 Maestro van, (its just VW made 020 with different end caps!) they had the A series engine and the only way it would ever move BT's equipment around was to have an incredibly low ratio! Cheap too :p

4. Collie Forum Junkie

So i guess a 1.6 driver box with 5 speed would fit and would give me added acceleration and a crusing gear for the occasional long journey.