!! gearbox went crunch !! :-(

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by concept, Dec 8, 2003.

1. concept Forum Member

yep, i was on my way home from dundee to edinburgh and my car came to a halt after giving a lovely crunch, clunk then stop as i pulled away at a roundabout !!! [:$]

it's had a juddering problem for a while which i couldnt tell exactly was the cause, then over the weekend it got rapidly worse [:^(]

i've got another engine (2.1L 8v with lots of work done :) ) which will now be getting fitted.

i've just got the car home this morning, not stripped nothing off it yet. now i need to know what gearbox i should go and look for, to fit with my more powerful motor. (hopefully up to 160bhp)

i'm not very clued up on gearboxes, so advice is what i'm looking for - hope y'all can help!

2. concept Forum Member

oh yeh, its a 97 mk3 gti (AGG)

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Well my old 8v 020 box is coping with 2.0 16v power just fine.

Just get a standard box with a warrenty and you will be fine -- or if you have 2k+ to spend get a quaiffe.

4. concept Forum Member

what box will be on mine? is it 020?
    i'd quite like to fit a six speed now. what are the chances of doing that?
    i'd want something with slightly longer gears as i hate it when it revs out through first quicker than , eh . . . , well . . . , quick !

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Not sure if you will be cable change or not. If you want 6 speed you gotta go to cable change.

How much cash you got to spend on it?

6. concept Forum Member

oh, not loads. i've shelled out a lot on the tuning. but i'd be looking for second hand parts anyway for shizay