Gearbox woes! Help!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by kieron, Sep 17, 2004.

1. kieron New Member

I recently had an 8v box put into my mk1 gti from another mk1 and I got the chap to fit the linkage bush kit and short shift. The problem is 1st and 3rd gear are impossible to engage 50% of the time. Should I go for a full rebuild or junk the box altogether? I am also planning to go for a G60 motor soon and wanted to use a rod change box, is this ok to do? Sorry for the long thread.

2. greg s Forum Member

Set up the linkages properly first. Do a search on here. That's probably
    what's wrong. Try engaging the gears on the box itself. If they go straight
    in you've found your problem.

3. kieron New Member

Is this something that should have been done when the linkage bushes were fitted?

4. greg s Forum Member

Yeah.

5. kieron New Member

Thanks for that. It's a relief to know that I'm not staring at a 500 rebuild. Is this linkage alignment easy and does the gearbox need to be dropped out to do it? As you can probably tell I'm not exactly mechanically minded!

6. Rustynuts Forum Member

It is easy but will take time as its a bit trial and error. Just need to get under the car and position the upright bar in conjunction with the interlinking rod that runs from the gear stick towards the engine. It is a spline fit so should slide off and on ok. Get someone to sit in the car and hold the gearstick in the neutral position whilst you are positioning the upright bar that should be more or less vertical in neutral. Try it its not too bad to do.

7. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Try taking the short shift off for now too. It won't help a worn box or mis-aligned linkages.