German Plates?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by MattW, May 7, 2006.

1. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

sweet car mate [8D]

2. Admin Guest

hmm green mk1's

3. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

anyone use white plates all round??(front and back i mean) been thinkin bout it but im sure the police will be more intersted

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I am after a white MK1 for a project if you know of any, sorry to change the subject :)

5. Admin Guest

depends on how quick i get the silver one done

6. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Eh what rule, never heard of that one, what if your a single female, and your ****ed driving a car he couldn't stop you.

Correct, you'd be surprise what else your allowed to show on the plate as long as it doesn't affect the text.

At the end of the day, as I've said, it's not the worst offence in the world, but why give a policeman, the excuse to stop your car, I don't understand that.

I agree it is going to be a jobsworth that's going to do you for displaying the german style plate.

But as I have said before although the text is not that different, there is only 2 types of text and spacing allowed, period.

The legislation quoted above, covers all the EU countries that produce different style plates for their home country. That means a german registered car is perfectly legal displaying a german plate in this country or any other country within the EU.

Under the Vehicle Excise and Registration act 1994, that's where you will find that a registration fitted to UK registered car, must have the specified letter type, etc, etc, although it ain't that different to the german style lettering.

Also the DVLA, take the attitude, that any type of altering the plate, can get it taken off you. Although you're likely to get a warning before it come to that. The biggest no no for them is where you space the letters to read something else, or alter the letters.

At the end of the day, carry a set of the correct plates with you, although the coming back from a show might not wash, if your driving about say in a town centre on a saturday night for example.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  7. sdfordyce1978 Forum Member

Just ordered mine for my 1987 Valver!!!

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i keep hearing this.. and altho i don't drive like a ******, and nothing but polite and courteous when i'm stopped, i've still been fined 3 times and had countless b'llockings for them [:s]

9. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

I am led to believe West Mercia are having a crack down on German plates.

Now I've had a word with several of their officers.....the coming home from a show act seems to have lost it's edge as German plates are just too popular now and they are everywhere.

The other comment I have heard & I don't know how true this is........if you are caught speeding by camera, when processed all European plates are automatically discarded. DVLA/goverment have latched onto this & realised they are losing a serious amount of revenue from English speeders, using European plates.

From the Police's point of view they seemed to be briefed that German stlye plates are used to avoid speed detection....I argued it was a simple STYLE thing....not acceptable!!![:s]

From a pratical point some cameras can not read the German plate with characters like 0's with the slot in them.

Looks like we need to find another fashionable item?!?!?!?!?!?

10. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

There was a piece in Golf+ about german plates and the police crack down. As is normal now, it's nothing to do with tracking cars and catching criminals but rather the money lost in speed camera convictions and the congestion charge. Tax is now the only law it seems.

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Anyone know of a pressed metal plate supplier/manufacturer to trade?

They all seem to be hiding[xx(]

12. voteforpedro Forum Member

While we're on the topic - can anybody recommend websites with good, cheap cherished numbers?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a plate I can keep and just move from car to car as I change cars. Are there any costs for transferring the plate?

13. giorgio1712 New Member

I wonder if I could get away with it in Guernsey as we aren't part of the UK or Europe? Would this mean I could use them legally?

14. Daniel-1986 Forum Member

if german plates are illegal or not why do i see modern cars with black and silver number plates which are illegal as you can only put them on ur car if it was built before 1973. my mate has just bought some with the d in the blue band but with uk style lettering

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  15. Aphex Forum Junkie

Isn't that the most illegal bit of the plate? :lol:

I only got mine because I prefer the font.

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

Strange - some people are prepared to pay fines for this but not become paid members (as indicated on here)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

well i am a paid up memeber and i have german plates.... very convincing ones as peope, who were at donny on sunday will know,

18. Aphex Forum Junkie

I've never got a fine for it. :)

19. pipster Forum Member

Got pulled and fined 30 last night!![:^(]
    When I asked "why" the officer said (vaguely)"its because the plates are german style and the car is not a Germany registered car"
    I asked "If I was to have "GB" instead of "D", would you have pulled me?"
    He said that he wouldn't have done and apart from the "D" my plates are very clear and legible!!; So, can you get a "GB" sticker to go over the "D"?....if so where from?

20. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The `GB` or `D` makes no difference what`s so ever. There is no law against it, the only ruling is that the font/spacing/letter size complies.

I`ve had mine on for nearly two years and have only been stopped once (for the plates specifically).

The officer made quite an interesting argument:

Basically the plates are illegal, as they don`t conform to the DVLA Standards.

If you were involved in a traffic incident and left the scene, then witnesses would probably describe it wrongly as a `German registered` car. I`m sure no-one here would run off from an incident, but you get the point.

Similarly, if your car is stolen, all ANPR systems are primed to look out for it, but won`t necessarily recognise it as British registered hampering it`s recovery.

Valid points I think, but I`m still keeping mine on, with British plates in the boot.