Getting Aluminium for custom fabrication?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by rubjonny, Jul 29, 2005.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'm thinking of doing some fabrication work, brackets, frames etc and need to get hold of lengths of aluminium box section, angle section etc and wondered if anyone knew of a good place to get hold of it for a resonable price?

2. Torquey Forum Member

Unless you strike it lucky at a scrap yard you might struggle. A steel stockholders is worth trying but don't think they like dealing with individuals prefer companies spending lots so you might have to pay more if they will sell to you. If you have any friends who work for engineering companies they might be worth a try. Or alternativley you could simply go in and ask local manufacturers they may have offcuts that you would be interested in that they may sell.

Good luck.

3. Admin Guest

yellow pages and see who your local metal supply merchant is,

cash always helps ;)

4. rubjonny

After lots of fruitless searching thru google I've found this site which looks promising, even has an online shop! Can't find any mention of minium order ammounts either :thumbup:

5. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Where in the country are ya?

6. rubjonny

Dahn saaff in Bracknell :lol:
    Edited by: rubjonny

7. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Gimme a list of what you're after and i'll get you some prices.

or can try Baco in reading 0118 9803300 (think they have a 15 min order for cash sales)

or aalco in slough 01753 619900

Theyre the 2 biggest stockholders in the country
    Edited by: ^neo^

8. rubjonny

Roughly 6 meters worth of square tubing, about 2cm x 2cm size ish (bigger or smaller is fine whatever size you can get) Some angle section too, prob a meter would be enough.

Lots of 'L' brackets for 90 gegree angles if you can get em to hold the pieces together as welding aluminium is a little out of my league :)

9. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Standard lengths are 5 metre, and they still work in imperial sizes 3/4" box is probably the closest they do.

Do a sketch of what you're after and i'll give you a price if you like

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Noooooo

Dont to Baco. Bunch of idjits!

I have 500 meters a month of anodized(sp?) extrusion off them and they treat it like crap. Bent here and there etc.
    If you are going to do lots of work on it then ok as mine comes in a finnshed product.

You could also try Durbin metals who are based in weston. Cant find there number atm sorry.

Not sure on there order quantity etc but we get 20U ally box frames made up and there really good and straight.

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

i got some a bit bigger than the box section size you mention, it was from a scrapped mobile scaffold tower in a skip :thumbup: [/tramp mode]

12. hayesey Forum Junkie

most metal suppliers will sell aluminium extrusion which is what alu tube, pipe & angle generally is.

what are you planning of fabricating from it? it's not very strong & is very hard to weld. why not just use stainless steel? stainless box section is easy to get hold of & easier to weld, although harder to machine.

13. rubjonny

Well I'm going to make a 'cockpit' for my PC steering wheel & pedals [:$] I'm not planning on doing any welding, as you say its tricky to weld aluminium. I was thinking of using brackets to bolt it all together tbh.

It's all up in the air at the moment just trying to see what is possible and what isn't :thumbup:

14. mat-mk3

Ahhh i see. Good idea

If you search on google etc there are some plans out there for designs. Lots of people have made there own!

15. madmonkey Forum Addict

And here we were thinking that you were going to try and build your own go-kart or something. :lol:

16. rubjonny

well it will pretty much be a go cart, just without wheels & an engine :lol:

17. mat-mk3

An "electronic" go cart ;) :lol: