getting cams made to schrick spec

Discussion in 'Engines' started by beaniegti, May 14, 2004.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

when my brother had his 106 done he sent his head to a company and asked for the best job possible-they then did some research on the engine and available cams then sent the info to a company in belgium who specially machined a cam to the required specs. in the end it worked out cheaper than buying off the shelf!

when having this done what data do you need??

duration and lift, but what else? or is that all thats needed to machine a cam?

2. jake Forum Member

Talk to someone like David Newman in Orpington, they know what profiles people use and can grind to them.

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

thanks jake-will give him a try

spoke to a company called qep-did my brothers-they recommend cat cams 7661210 which are a 265 inlet and 262 exhaust with 10.9mm lift

they reckon it is similar to pipers fast road set and yeild a 12bhp increase- they cost 316 for the pair

what is the general opinion on the pipers?? any good

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Pipers are crap.

Are you doing cams for your 16v?

5. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

i think so-getting the head flowed later in the summer, so while its off it makes sense to do the cams.

gonna be an expensive job.

i'd really like schrick simply because i've never heard a bad thing said about them. but they are quite pricey

6. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well you can buy schricks second hand (occasionally)

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Go on eBay.de

Dozens of 2nd hand Schricks... and new ones for about 400 ;)

8. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

tried reading vortex but there is so much on there about cams its hard to digest.

unsure as to what profiles to go for-on an 1800 i guess i'd want to stick to the 268's (ish) tho i may, one day, go 2.0l

is a split profile a better bet? I've tried searching the web but its proving difficult to find the info

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

GVK-Motorsport.

I'm gonna go for 268/276 splits. IanB gets stunning results with his... and manages to up bottom end torque too...

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My Kents work well in the 1800, power comes in at 3k all the way to 7, engine`s stock otherwise.

11. DEX

268's on a 1.8 will br pretty cammy - you already know the figures mine made on 260's - and that was *failry* cammy but still driveable

if i was just using my car as a road car or occasional track use i would have stuck to 260's - i am looking at something hotter for mine since it's a 2 and a bit, and because i don't need it every day - it's mainly a toy

12. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

300 euro's each cam plus vat and delivery.
    ~500 +delivery
    *rough* guide depending on Euro exchange rate

13. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

whats the lift on the 260's dex?

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Cheers Bill...

You will be getting an order from me soon anyway ;)

15. madmonkey Forum Addict

lalalala [:s] got a Newman cam ground to Schrick 272 profile waiting to ge into mine. [:$]

16. zak. Forum Member

theres some schrick cams for sale on the pvw classifieds

17. DEX

i'll need to look up the schrick catalogue to see the lift

18. DEX

schrick 260's are .440" lift....

or about 11.176mm lift

19. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

20. beaniegti