getting rid of tar spots of new alloys

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by G-FORCE, Nov 16, 2003.

1. G-FORCE Forum Member

I got a new set of 17"s for my golf and they have loads of Tar sports all over them.....This has annoyed me and does anyone suggest any good products to remove them ???

2. edc1 Forum Member

MC2 from Waxwizard removed years of tar and embedded brake dust and brake disc from my alloys.

3. steveg60cab Forum Member

petrol works 100%!!

4. G-FORCE Forum Member

is it not worth getting any Wonderwheels cleaner or products like that? I have heard that some products can eat away at the surface finish on the alloys?

5. Dano Forum Member

I SECOND PETROL...NO SMOKING!!!

6. tricky robo New Member

Petrol or to be on the safe side WD40 works a treat !

7. madmonkey Forum Addict

WD40 isn't flamable? :o

8. Pike Forum Member

Not as bad as brake cleaner, I've had bad experiences with welding and that stuff!!!

9. Rahul Forum Junkie

wonder wheels will work but it shouldnt really be used often as it can affect the lacquer on wheels.

10. G-FORCE Forum Member

CHEERS guys, Will give Petrol a go.....Cant stand the smell though [xx(]

11. edc1 Forum Member

That's exactly why I recommned MC2 as it's acidic content is limited to citric acid which is why it smells of oranges too :)

Cleaned with shampoo and water pic (as I used to do):
    [​IMG]

Cleaned with MC2:
    [​IMG]

12. G-FORCE Forum Member

EDC1.......YOU sold it too me man......

Better had go and get some.... ;)

looks like it does the job [8D]

13. edc1 Forum Member

You can get Wazwizard / Mark Underwood on waxwizard@blueyonder.co.uk ; Tel/Fax: 0044 1752 317086 Mobile: 0044 7966 713177

If your wheels are as bad as mine were you need to leave it to soak a bit and work over with a brush, I used an old toothbrush.

A claybar is recommended for bits which have got thru the lacquer but I found extra pressure with the brush worked ok.

14. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

15. edc1 Forum Member

The first picture shows the results of how I did clean my wheels. They look pretty skanky as you can tell. I didn't want to use Wonderwheels type products cos I have read about how it can damage alloys and seen some damage with my own eyes. I then read some comments on MC2 so thought I had to buy it. I did, so I took a picture of the finished result.

The first pic (I have others like it) I took because I wanted to know what I could use to shift the crap. I emailed the lot to Waxwizard and he gave me a good reply with some good advice.

Does that explain it?

I'm loathe to admit that something like cleaning can be so damn hard but credit where credit's due IMO.

If you're sceptical it doesn't bother me cos I'm happy with my clean wheels. :)
    Edited by: edc1

16. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

That explains it.. i was merely worried you had loads of pics of all the diferent parts you've cleaned.

Might have to try this MC2 stuff, like you I didn't want to use anythig to acidic. My wheels are covered in brake dust and they are those fiddly BBS's so umles i spend hours with a toothbrush on eah one they look terrible.
    Edited by: gbolton

17. edc1 Forum Member

Now I've used the MC2 a few times, they tend to be very easy to clean. Use some cheap wax to wax your wheels and you wont regret it. Next time you come to wash the wheels all you should need to do is sponge down with cold water, spray on a bit of MC2 (if even needed) then pressure hose off or wash off with sponge.

If it's been say 2 months or more or you've done some hard track miles then you might need to spend a bit of time with a brush cos the hot dust might have penetrated the wax. It's also safe to use on your bodywork too. I've even used it to clean the cooker.

One thing though. I think Waxwizard is now only selling this in 5L containers which will last you forever (32 last year)!!

I've got a big container and could s-e-l-l you a smaller quantity ;)

18. VwDan94 New Member

any wheel cleaner ive tried is crap, i use a spary bottle with half petrol half desiel with dash of engine oil, this can be used to clean tar off all over ur car. using petrol on its on isn gud!