girlfriend needs to get home EEEKKKKK

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by snickalous, Nov 3, 2003.

1. snickalous Forum Member

hi guys really really stuck! was ment to take my girlfriend back home tonight but bugger me my car wont start
    was working perfectly when i left it came back and it wont even turn over the starter motor lights are fine this happened about 2 weeks ago tested the battery and is was poor changed it and it was fine, so on this premis i changed the alternator to a new one i have in store, bumped it and took it out for 5 mins came back and still nothing! new battery new alternator ??????????????????????? help

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Dodgy earth lead possibly?

3. snickalous Forum Member

how does that work? iam a bit new to electriks

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Where the earth lead comes from battery it might need removed and cleaned where it joins can`t remember off-hand but one goes from gearbox to chassis I think.Had this very problem years ago and after that it was fine its worth a try as it cost nothing.
    Edited by: VIW 2227

5. b'locks Forum Addict

also could be a weak battery to starter cable! disconnect it at the batt and give it a good clean

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

youre thinking all wrong. if she's your girlfriend this is the perfect excuse for her to stay the night :p

or has she got to get home to her hubby? ;)

7. Joggie New Member

I'll have a good look at the wire that runs from the alt to the starter and from the starter to the + on the bat.

That wire used to get loose on my jetta and gave me many a headace ..

8. LOL @ Jeff!

I had this for a while on my valver. I used to put it into gear and rock the car back and forth a couple of times, and then it would start. But first check the wiring etc.

Mine was a faulty/sticking throw out winding. Fixed it by rebuilding the starter (but you might not have to).