1. jakeireland Forum Member

NFU :)

you have to live in a rural area, have other business with them, and a load of other stuff :)

Im insured with them for my discovery aswell, 550 fully comp!

2. ihaveajetta Forum Member

ah well i guess ill have to stick to me overly expensive insurance then

3. jakeireland Forum Member

insurance is silly really though....they can just raise the prices to what they like because we'l have to keep paying!

4. mk2lad Forum Member

i had the 1800 driver and jus slammed a 16v head on it with twin webers, enough power with no turbo lag, and thats my first car, so jus get the larger and there will be less of a struggle

5. GTI-Jay Forum Member

What!!

How im 22 and my first car is an 8v gti and the cheapst i could get was 1200 250 exs

6. jakeireland Forum Member

NFU insurance, they're real people, my dads company used to have an office next door to them so they know me and know im sensible, i have a history of track driving, i live in a rural area, i have a years no claims, and they insure me on my discovery aswell :)

Its really nice when you go in there, really relaxed, sit down with a coffee and have a chat, none of the usual insurance crap!

7. jakeireland Forum Member

:clap:

surely its far more dangerous to be driving like a di*k anywhere?! I know for a fact i dont drive like a di*k on normal or country roads. i live in the country, and there have been over 10 people killed in my area in the last year because of driving like a d*ck on the local roads, and funnily enough, none of the accidents involved anyone over the age of 21 being at fault.

I save my driving for the track, and i know that even if someone has a faster car than me, il just leave them to it on a road, because i want to get home, not to hospital. There again i might just be the only sensible 18 year old around, especially the only sensible one with a gti. i dont understand how people can be so immature and dangerous, imagine if someone driving like a d*ck crashed into your girlfriend/wife/loved ones, im sure you'd feel very differently about the situation then. i cant believe the statement "i dont drive like a di*k on normal roads only on country roads" is funny enough to put lol on the end!

Anyway....Rant over :)

Sorry, but i cant stand people thinking that its ok to drive like a 5'8" pe**s in the country, thinking no-ones going to get hurt.

:)

8. Aphex Forum Junkie

1200 for an 8v at 22??

Have you only just passed you test?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  9. lostprophet99

lostprophet99 Forum Member

20 years old.
    3 Yrs No-Claims
    Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
    540 TPFT

10. GTI-Jay Forum Member

yeah i only just past my test on the 22/11/07

That is what i through when i red that coment worries me who is on our roads!!

11. alexl Forum Member

i would have thought turboing a 1.3 would be masses more expensive to do rather than putting a larger capacity engine in which can be had for peanuts.
    getting 130bhp out of the 1.3 would involve uprating brakes and suspension to handle the power anyway.

would be very cool to see a turbod 1.3 but to do it properly itd be massively expensive for the gains, would need to drop the CR, i would have thought putting proper management and setup wouldnt cost much less if not more than changing to gti spec with engine. Let alone maifolds, intercoolers, and associated pipework.

Plus if you dont have the time i think it would take a lot longer to turbo your enine than to put a bigger one in, after its all built its a pain in the **** to smooth out all the niggling boost problems that are guaranteed to happen on a tubo'd project would take ages to sort out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  12. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

right lads the chap just wants to KEEP the 1.3 so can anybody explain how to turbo a 1.3 or in fact any carb engine because im interested...i have a spare engine in the garage and i'd like to experiment so can somebody PLEASE tell me how to do it.....or even tell me how to do this new turbo backbox thing that was done in the pug306 in ppc magazine.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

13. FEN

fen Forum Member

"i dont drive like a di*k on normal roads only on country roads" i wrote something but i wont post it haha

14. Daniel-1986 Forum Member

i have a 1.3 golf and in carb setup i dont think it would spool up the turbo enough

15. nass Forum Member

What engine mount do you have to modify? i thought the 1.3 mk2 engine sat on the subframe

16. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Well not modify, but the mounts need swapping for big block mounts

17. ripskin Forum Member

If you want to stay 1.3l then maybe boge a 1.3 polo supercharged g40 lump in the golf....pointless but trying to stick to your idea :)

IMO go for mk2 8v or 16v can pick em up for next to nothing 600-800 quid will get you one with mot and more performance than the 1.3 ever would.

Good luck whatever you do

18. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

stick a charger on it , It will be a quicker conversion plus less involved than a turbo. Plus you wont have to change much on your engine to cope with the additional increase power.