Golf 2.0 APK engine fault codes

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jimboy81, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jimboy81 New Member

I've been asked to look at my cousins car. It's a 1999 Golf 2.0 Gti with the 8v APK engine. Basically it hesitates and stutters very badly on acceleration until it clears itself as revs build up. I told him to get it fault code read and what it read was as follows :

41A6 - Main catalytic converter conversion rate (Bank 1) too low
    4067 - Air mass sensor signal too high
    4086 - Oxygen sensor 1 no signal

They recommended replacing the lambda sensor (the one in front of the cat) which i've done but the fault is still there. There MPG reader is reading about 11mpg and it smells of fuel and is really hesitant on acceleration.
    He's only had the car a month and he said the previous owner had recently fitted a 2nd hand catalytic converter which he has welded in to the full stainless system
    I'm thinking if the cat that was fitted is actually ****ed?
    The lambda sensor fitted was the wrong one? (I ordered the sensor from Euro Car Parts using the Vagcat catalogue number but when it turned up the wire was 6 inches too short and the end that goes into the pipe is slightly different. I went back to Euros and told them what car it was for and they came back with one with the right length but the end was still different. We assumed this was just because it was a different manufacturer)

Any ideas to what it could be would be greatly appreciated.