Golf+ 2006 keeps cutting off, Fuel Pump / Relay Issue?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by stumpy1976, Oct 5, 2012.

1. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Hi all

The Wife was driving to work yesterday when the Golf + just cut out on her and wouldnt restart. RAC man reckons he could find no fault codes, said that fuel pressure seemed low & towed her home.

So, been on a few sites and looked at a few options... firstly I hadnt serviced the car for a while so took a trip to Halfrauds to get a fuel filter last night, using their clever online tool they've managed to sell me the wrong one...Yay!

Upon removing the lid of the fuel filter housing I decided to try and prime the engine to see if fuel was getting to the filter...

First question... Would the fuel still be pushed from the tank even with the lid off??? (As there was none p**sing out)

2ndly... If it was supposed to be priming even with the lid off, and it wasnt... What / where is the fuse for the pump & also is there a relay that could be causing this too?

Fourthly (Just keeping you on your toes) ... Where is the fuel pump located on a BRU Engine code 1.9TDi and is it a fairly straight forward job for the competent DIY grease monkey if the pump is the issue?

regards

Mark

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

there is upto 3 options of fuel filter on those, bet the old one had black colouring on the element, which is soot

what does happen is the soot gets back into the fuel line (from the head/tandom pump), the fuel pump then pumps it until it gets to point the pump siezes

either replacment pump or removal from the top of the tank and a good clean & 12V supply to run it both ways will help no end

3. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Cheers Crispy... Where do I access the pump...Checked in the boot... thought it'd be nicely located like my MK2 :-(

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

No in tank pump on those, the injection pump sucks the fuel out of the tank

5. Noworries New Member

Under the back seat base drivers side under plastic inspection cap.. 4 pin connector.. middle 2 pins fuel sender wires.. outer 2 pins feed and earth..

6. Noworries New Member

Under the back seat base drivers side under plastic inspection cap.. 4 pin connector.. middle 2 pins fuel sender wires.. outer 2 pins feed and earth..

Check the feed and return pipes are connected the right way round by the arrows next to them, black pipe feed, blue pipe return line, these have a habbit of being the incorrect from factory even after this many years/milleage covered..

7. stumpy1976

stumpy1976 Forum Member

Def is a pump on these, managed to locate it under seat, one on metal rods that the pump moves up and down on had snapped off its plastic housing. New pump going in today so hopefully sorts it.

Pipes seemed to in right colour order and cars done 120k so I'm sure it would of shown up by now. But thanx for the info gentlemen's.