Golf 3 ABF fuel economy 16mpg?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by nemosgti, Oct 14, 2022.

1. nemosgti New Member

Hello everyone I have a question about the fuel economy which is too high in my opinion. I searched online and it looks like the open road (90-100kmh) fuel consumption should be around 8-9 litres per 100km (26mpg US) I own my golf for 3 months and I am really satisfied with everything about it, just considered about if something is wrong and what it should be. Have a nice day

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

In my opinion, on a longer drive on the open road you should be getting more like 35~40 mpg (don’t forget US gallons are smaller than UK gallons).
    With normal (sensible) driving around town you should be getting the 26 mpg.

3. nemosgti New Member

Oh I forgot to mention that, thanks for reminding me. Those are US gallons I wrote

but what could it be? Everything is stock, except the exhaust which is stainless steel, relatively new, engine is working perfectly, regular maintenance and service history, only 210.000km on clock.
    Friend told me it could be a chain on camshaft. I will check that asap, but it could be something else?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how are you measuring it, real life usage at the pumps or based on what the trip computer says

5. nemosgti New Member

Calculated the mileage between two refills
    I drove on the same road, same speed for 2 working weeks

6. rubjonny

ok cool, so the first thing to do is plug in vagcom and check for codes also scan thru the ecu measuring blocks to make sure all your sensors are giving you good values. the thing with the abf engine is it can loose quite a few sensors and still run pretty well :lol:

7. nemosgti New Member

Okay thanks for the advice, I will contact my mechanic and ask him when he would be able to check it.
    I will keep this topic up to date. :thumbup:

8. rubjonny

If you have a laptop you can get a generic kkl/vagcom cable really cheap, then you use the freeware version of vcds-lite which is all you need for code scan and sensor checks :)

9. rubjonny

If you can't do that what I'd do next is remove the wiring loom from the round plug on the engine plug, often the wiring cracks up behind the inlet and then the breather heater will short out which takes out the isv and 2nd ignition live to the ECU. Relatively easy fix if you know how to solder or better yet can depin and replace wiring end to end

10. nemosgti New Member

I think I will purchase a cable for myself. My friend is a mechanic, he ran obd2 and it didn’t get any faults, but he couldn’t read engine at all..:lol:
    He told me I might as well replace the o2 sensor.
    the thing is, I have an aftermarket stainless exhaust with a sport cat, since car has not any check engine light (as good as I am aware of) it works fine without any errors and it passed the car inspection for few months ago without any faults…

11. rubjonny

if you suspect o2 sensor just unplug it if car runs a lot better then thats a good sign its a failed sensor. the abf doesnt have a check light you're right, so you never really know theres a problem unless you notice an issue :lol:

12. nemosgti New Member

So you say if I unplug it, car should drink less petrol? :o

13. rubjonny

only if its broken ;)

14. nemosgti New Member

Update:
    I have one o2 sensor just before the cat and I could not unscrew it…
    I tried to drive my car like I stole it for a week and fuel consumption was 0.5l/100km less than with normal driving :clap:
    Can I download that software and buy the reader on my MacBook or I need to have a windows computer?

15. rubjonny

erm... I guess mac might have some kind of emulation software for windows stuff but I've never used it. VCDS-lite is free to download so you can give it a try before you buy the cable

16. nemosgti New Member

I was looking around for the air mass meter and could not find any for abf engines. Aren’t they the same as in 8v gtis?
    Thanks, I will try to do something. I can boot Mac with windows, found out that today :lol:

17. rubjonny

nope no MAF on these, instead they have a MAP sensor inside the ECU, you have a vacuum line from there either to rear of inlet or brake servo hose depending on age (1 meter long)

18. nemosgti New Member

Update:
    It does not show any faults with the engine… I tried to disconnect the lambda and it immediately showed lambda fault.
    I don’t understand how to check ecu sensors? Is that number 08? If that I ran the test everything was green… I assume that means okay
    I cannot get car running and check for the chain stretch because I use the 3rd party cable…

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  19. rubjonny

yes measuing blocks-08, you check in there to make sure all sensors are reading believable values i.e. coolant temp is around 90 degrees when gauge shows 90degrees etc

20. nemosgti New Member

I checked some of them I could go up to 20 blocks only

Update:
    I borrowed bought version and official cable, but I could not find any sensors about cams timing etc on blocks 93 I believe
    How can I know but I saw a chain was slack and hanging on cams when we changed the valve rubber sealing
    It could be that?