Golf GTi 16v 1991 No Spark

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by yimmy, May 17, 2016.

1. yimmy New Member

On my morning commute, my not so beauty started spluttering, I pulled over and found one of the injectors had worked its way out and was hanging loose. I reinserted it and since then I cannot get her to spark at all, I have cleaned all the connections, she already had a new dizzy so I am assuming nothing there, anyone have any thoughts...? Is there a main fuse for the ignition system that isnt under the steering wheel?

Thanks

2. Ben_s Forum Member

Have you checked the lead from the coil is still connected to both the dizzy and the coil?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

3. yimmy New Member

I have checked, I have also checked that I have voltage out of the coil and I have, the only thing I can think of is the sensor in the engine or the TCU... Thoughts

4. blis Forum Member

If you want to eliminate the most probable cause, go directly for the crank position sensor and get vagcom on it asap. Its not a quick job, you can do with a spanner leaning over the engine, so many people, including myself, dance around it in hope its something else.

It is tucked in behind the subframe and front engine mount, there might be a chance its the connection, but in truth a modern ecu relies on sensors, so the old days of a few mechanical servicable items is now a much larger list. Bat, another member may add his recent experience and there are countless threads on here to justify replacing it with a reputable brand sender.

5. Ben_s Forum Member

1991 16v = kjet surely. No ecu (well, not really) no obd for vagcom and no crank position sensor. It uses a hall sender in the dizzy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

6. blis Forum Member

7. yimmy New Member

Ben_s, you're correct. sorry, I have found a thread where Rubjonny systematically spells out how to eliminate each component.. on it tomorrow with a sillyscope.

8. Tom-uk Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was the TCU, doubt the coil would just stop working, it's more likely to deteriorate as time goes same with the rest of the ht parts. Could also be a break in one of the earths at the back of the head or some of the low tension wires to the +ve/-ve terminals of the coil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk