Golf GTI 8V 1989 ABS problem

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Justbe, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Justbe Forum Member

Hi,

Just joined this site, hope this thread came to the right place! I have a problem with my ABS. The ABS warning light bulb has been taken off by the previous owner so I guess it shows red. [:D]

Atm the ABS doesn't activate when I brake fully on an icey road.
    Except one day there came huge amount of snow here in Helsinki and suddenly I felt the ticking of the ABS in the brake pedal while just touching the brake on slow speeds (the wheels weren't locking at any point). I had parked the car on a very snowy parking place, maybe some snow touched the ABS sensors and got them to activate falsely...

I'm getting a time for a warm garage in 10 days to check the ABS rings and sensors. But where should I start to investigate? I've read something about ABS activating in slow speeds and there has been some dirt on the ABS sensor or the ABS ring has situated a bit too close to the sensor, am I right? I saw a lot of (steel?) dirt on the sensor the other day when I took the wheel off, could that dirt be the problem? It was hard to get the dirt off when the magnet is keeping them attached. Have to get the caliper and the disc away.

PS. where would the OBD1 situate if I have one? Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,
    Jussi
    from Finland

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi Jussi,

Mk2 GTI with ABS, would be the same system as found in the Corrado and Passat I take it.
    Got a picture?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

4. Justbe Forum Member

Thank you for the quick answers! :) From where would you need a picture to see whether it's the same system? I would assume it's the same.

I'll get to the car in two days and will check the gearshift gator, thanks for the advice!

If there is an OBD1, could I see in which ABS-sensor the problem could be for example? Or is it only in the newer OBD2 systems, where you can get so accurate information?

Hypotetically would this set work for me if I have the two OBD1 connectors?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/KKL-USB-Int...-incl-2-x2-Adapter-KFZDIAGNOSE-/152189178572?

Best,
    Jussi

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

look for the abs pump in the bay and the controller in the boot, these should help us ID the system in use.

with the diagnostics interface the 2x2 port shown is what you may have, the trouble is with really old ports most cheap usb cables dont work with them, trev16v posted up a guide somewhere on how to check and possibly fix your port to work with them. worth dropping him a PM anyway :thumbup:

even then it may still not work, iirc he was trying to scan a 9a ecu and these old abs systems might not have the same protocols. An led/switch adaptor may work, this can be utilised on some older ECU to get 'flash codes', not sure if it would also work on the abs system. Thread here, I'll try to fix the table in a bit:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?50225

6. rubjonny

hmm now I've fixed the table there are no codes listed for ABS anyway, so not really a lot of use :lol:

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Old ABS is a Teves 02 or 04.
    They run on blink codes.
    If they work with a diagnostics via a 2x2 data link connector, then the communication protocol is KWP1281.

8. Justbe Forum Member

Hi all,

This forum is super, thank you for the replies! :)

Maybe it is easier to check each ABS-sensor how they look on the outside and clean them up. If one looks bad, then I'll just get a new one. The OBD check sounds a bit of an hassle... [:D]
    I guess it runs on blink codes but how do I know which kind of blink means what?

I've got a picture of the controller in the boot:
    [​IMG]

9. rubjonny

let us know how you get on with checking over all the ABS sensors :)

Checked that code and the corrado uses the same ecu, IIRC the corrado bentley has the blink codes in there if I get time at some point I'll write them out into a table

10. Justbe Forum Member

Thank you RJ! :)

Here's still what I found behind the dash:
    [​IMG]

Soldered a new bulb in there:
    [​IMG]

This is how my fuse box looks like. Every Fuse is ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. dragonfly

JustBe - you should have access to the document now. Hope it of use.

12. Justbe Forum Member

Thank you very much dragonfly! Comprehensive troubleshooting steps there! :)

13. Justbe Forum Member

Now the bulb is connected but no warning blink. How can I test that the ABS warning bulb is working properly? By taking off the fuses above the ABS relies?

14. Justbe Forum Member

Oh it was a connection problem. Okay the ABS warning light is just staying on after starting up. No blinking. This can probably mean anything? [:D]

15. dragonfly

If it stays on then it's a electrical or connection issue. The guide tends to be a little vague around the light staying on. However I would try the connections under the bonnet to the pump and reservoir for corrosion first.

16. Justbe Forum Member

Thanks dragonfly, I will check those next. Good news: at least I'm hearing the pump noice about 15 seconds when I turn the ignition on but don't start the engine! So at least the pump gets electricity. :)

Ps. I'm actually coming to London on Saturday for a little holiday, first time for me!

17. Justbe Forum Member

Is it possible to check the abs-sensors with a multimeter that they are ok? Something I've read that if I disconnect the abs wire from the sensor and measure the sensor how many ohm it gives? Wasn't it so that if it gives 1 ohm the sensor is ok, and otherwise it's broken?

How could I measure if the abs wire itself is ok?

18. dragonfly

Not sure - RJ may be able to confirm

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

i just tested each sensor and if one is faulty it will have a wat differant reading ...they should all be the same

20. rubjonny