Golf GTI gearbox swap

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by R1ch, Jul 16, 2022.

1. R1ch Forum Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to swap the gearbox on my mk2 GTI 8v PB Golf as the differential is making horible noises. It currently has a ACD code box and I'm going to replace it with a CHE code 020 box from a mk3 Golf.
    I know the box I've got is good, but I'm planning to replace the following before / during fitting. Is this all correct? Is there anything I've missed?
    • Clutch Sachs 027198141C - its the 210mm 16v version for the CHE code box isn't it?
    • Release bearing 020141165B
    • Input shaft seal 020311113B
    • Guide rod seal 020311108A (i wasn't going to change the bush as the genuine on in the box is probably better than the aftermarket ones available to buy)
    • Driveshaft flange seals 020498085G
    Should I replace the seal where the gear linkage rod goes into the box?
    Will my existing speedo cable and gear work?
    I assume all the shift rods will work with the replacement box and I'll use the mounts and brackets from the old box.
    I've been reading the gearbox removal guide on here and the info on BrokeVW.com. I think I'll get a crane or engine support beam as I'm going to attempt this on my own.

Any advice / suggestions welcome.
    Thanks 020_CHE_gearbox.jpg

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds good. Check the length of the push rod and maybe treat it to some new gearbox oil

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Check the clutch disc on the splines of the new box. And replace any bushing that has even a tiny bit of wear on the linkages.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MK3 2.0 8v gearbox has the same clutch as a MK2 1.8 16v 2Y gearbox.
    However the ratios are horrible, which part the reason a MK3 8v GTI feels rubbish through the gears.

5. R1ch Forum Member

Thanks everyone.
    Intrigued to see how much I will notice the different ratios @Toyotec (3000rpm)
    Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 14.18.19.png
    but at the moment its about replacing it without spending loads of money. I hope to get the original box rebuilt at some point in the future.

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Goodluck with getting the ACD. Could you possibly post up the stamping that is on the underside, the gearbox no.
    I just had mine rebuilt by a company in Notts. The price went up by 200 and came in at over 600 so I wasnt impressed. I've just spent the last week removing the bolts and painting them so it all looks nice. I got new gearbox oil from TPS, bargain 2 litres for £20 and genuine VW
    Good luck with the swap.

7. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As above the CHE ratios are horrible, kills the performance and makes the car feel very sluggish........ok for cruising along the motorway, but that's about all. I would personally get any 2nd hand 020 box rebuilt, as they are all old now and its a bit of work too change a box. Its not too expensive get an 020 rebuilt if it's in half decent condition and certainly worth getting the diff rivets swapped for bolts while doing it. Obviously money is tight for everyone, but the peace of mind and feel of a decent box is worth it, even if it needs a bit more saving up IMHO.