Golf gti mk2 bulkhead Brake lines

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by valvemiester, Jul 12, 2023.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi could someone please post some pictures of the layout for the brake pipes that clip to the bulkhead in the engine bay, mines a 1991 16v (bare shell rebuild), as the only ones I have to compare are on my 1990 8v and they don't look correct as in factory layout, but are a diagonal split it's just the installation.

Attached Files:

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Replaced about 2 x years ago but the car still had it's original front sections.

Because they were used as templates this is pretty faithful to its factory set up (1992 8v).

IMG20230712235711.jpg
    IMG20230712235746.jpg

3. Zender Z20

Few images buried in my thread, might be a bit clearer without the engine gubbins in the way...

26899-92ec0048e2ca139c15a26c028e52024b.jpg
    26898-ae2f6784d692bb029da0c5f6949325a9.jpg 202.JPG 200.JPG 201.JPG 199.JPG

valvemiester likes this.
  4. valvemiester

Hi Zender that is just what I need perfect thank you, the car had no brake lines when I got it so bit of a blank canvas. That engine bay work you have done looks great.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

No worries... not so tidy two years later, but was made to be driven.

(Used / have kept this diagram, put up by @stephcasscar in 2007!)

[​IMG]

6. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Mine is slightly different. Uses three ports from the master cylinder. One goes directly to offside front, next goes directly to nearside rear, third splits with the brass three way connector to offside rear and nearside front. It’s an ‘84 8v GTI.

IMG_5097.jpeg IMG_1945.jpeg

7. valvemiester

8. Zender Z20

The brass connectors weren't attached to anything other than the incoming / outgoing pipework, they 'float' loose as it were.

There are clips on the bulkhead and elsewhere but the hole you see isn't to fix them, that's so you can insert for example a screwdriver shaft when tightening / undoing the couplings, otherwise you'd risk them snapping unless something was used to counteract the twisting action.

valvemiester likes this.
  9. valvemiester

I know the studs on the bulkhead are used for the brake pipe clips but the plastic clips only hold two brake pipes per clip and I have three pipes to clip in and remembering classic mini etc all brass three way unions were bolted to a fixed surface hence my question, just in case my mk2 was an aftermarket fit.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  10. Zender Z20

If I've understood you, the clips you're thinking about will be hidden in my images by the heat shield tabs because they're folded over it after fitting the brake pipes, presumably to protect them from heat also.

They look something like this and of the three pipes they secure the bottom and middle ones only -

ecs.JPG

Remember I'm an 8v, don't know if 16V's differ - There'll be two of them and a third where the rear pipes begin to go under the floor pan...

brake line clip 3B.jpg

And if you have PAS, then a fourth attached (out of sight) on the reverese side of the hose bracket which secures to the nearside chassis leg...

brake line clip 4A.jpg

The (top) third pipe across the bulk head is fastened to the middle pipe by an additional (and different style of) clip (three)...

hoffman.jpg

brake line clip1A.jpg
    On the off side chassis leg there'll be a notch cut into the ridge that runs its length, this clip fits into that. It's slot is oblong to accomodate the pipe as it is dropping down at an angle.

brake line clip.jpg

brake line clip 2A.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  11. valvemiester

Hi Zender that's the clip I need the one for the third brake pipe across the back of the bay I have the double ones that fit to the bulkhead that you have shown, I know there is some sort of plastic support for the upper heatshield for a 16v that fits around the same area iirc, that heatshield isn't fitted on an 8v though.

12. valvemiester

Thank you all for your replies and help great stuff cheers:thumbup:

13. Rustbuster

Yeah, as Zender wrote, they’re not attatched to the bulkhead, they just “float” there. I can take a photo of my 16v tomorrow if it helps?

valvemiester likes this.
  14. valvemiester

If you have a picture of the upper heatshield lower mounts please I remember the upper part hooks over the lip that the plenum chamber rubber seal sits on.

15. Rustbuster

IMG_5148.jpeg My 16v is same as Zenders. Master cylinder has four ports, two blanked and one each of the other two going to the 3-way brass splitters. Let me know if you need a shot with the heat shield removed? Cheers. IMG_5151.jpeg

16. valvemiester

Thank you Rustbuster the heatshield lower mounting clips ( in your last picture are what im goingto strugglegett I think) like you have both done I have a four outlet master cylinder and I was going to use the two outboard ports and blank of the two manifold side.

17. Rustbuster

Yep, that’s the same M/C configuration as mine.