Golf gti mk2 digifant pump housing

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by stevec, Feb 21, 2021.

1. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all.
    Got a running mk2 golf gti 8v but at a cost. The fuel pump housing is cracked via the pump locating holes. Has anyone successfully managed to repair/glue the plastic? And if so what product did you use?
    Thanks Steve

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a digifant you could replace the fuel system with mk3 setup, kinda pricey and effort but then again look at prices of used digi fuel housings these days...

stevec and cupracraig like this.
  3. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Hi.
    Trying to repair my housing, using milliput plastic epoxy putty. Have drastically reduced the leak. It's just weeping through now. Think it's getting past the 'o' ring due to an uneven locating surface. Have removed pump housing again and smoothed surface for the 'o' ring to sit evenly. Have refitted pump back to housing just waiting for epoxy to harden (24-48) hrs. Hopefully will try tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed

4. Giraffe

Giraffe New Member

Yes, I tried to repair mine a while ago. Looked to have worked but then once back on the car and under pressure it weeped. Not leaking as badly as it was so an improvement but not good enough. I used a epoxy JBWeld suitable for fuel. I think I could have done a better job but I’m not confident it’d hold under the pressure. Perhaps a normal tank would hold, but not with the pressure of a pump just cms away!

5. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Hi.
    Looking at the pump location surface there are extra circles? That perfectly line up with the pump clamp. Can the box be redrilled for an additional mounting points ? Has anyone done this?
    Was thinking of using m5 or m6 stainless stud bar on the trouble locator. Drilling out to tapping size, tap and threadlock stud bar in hole?
    Steve

6. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Found out why it's still leaking. Not only was the fitting cracked, Looks like someone has put too long a screw in the fixing hole in the past and pushed through into swirl pot. So a m5 threaded bar insert, thread locked in is my only alternative. Just looking to see what thread lock product will be suitable for metal to plastic, petrol and pressure(3.0 bar max).
    Steve

7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Is the housing under 3bar pressure? I think the housing is just a reservoir, kept full by the in-tank pump.

It's the high pressure pump that takes the fuel from the reservoir and sends through the filter and to the fuel rail pressure regulator which maintans the 2.5-3bar pressure.

8. rubjonny

may be under slight pressure from the feed pump and/or engine return filling the pot faster than the return can drain to the tank, but nothing spectacular

9. H8V

h8v Forum Member

It's just that petrol has an uncanny way of finding even the smallest of gaps!

Some of the regular gasket sealants claim they are fuel "resistant" and have the advantage of being a bit flexible, unlike epoxies.

10. rubjonny

yeah it'll find its way out. main thing is make sure whatever you get is also rated for modern higher ethanol content fuels

11. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all.
    As the milliput black epoxy stuff i have been using is listed as temporary repair to petrol systems, i want a more permanent solution. So have bought jb waterweld epoxy putty. It is advertised as being able to be completely immersed in petrol and will even set underwater! Hopefully will have it delivered by friday. In mean time i will prep/clean fuel housing ready for the trial.

12. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Would it be that difficult to make our own up from aftermarket parts if you mounted it in the boot? I mean, its basically just a lift pump to a filter/swirl pot/external pump right? in whichever order that goes

13. rubjonny

the black pot is just a swirl pot, so you can replace it with an aftermarket pot and use an inline pump instead. doesnt even have to go in the boot, mate of mine made his own using a mk3 golf filter carrier, strapped a kjet mk1 pump on one side and a post-84 cab/rocco and g40 shape polo swirl pot on the other. The mk3 filter carrier fits straight up to the studs under the car for a nice oem-ish fit. Unfinished pic, but you get the idea
    [​IMG]

cupracraig likes this.
  14. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

So have bought jb waterweld epoxy putty. It is advertised as being able to be completely immersed in petrol and will even set underwater!

I used a similar flexible sealant to seal my pump housing it was leaking on the area the two halves are bonded together, its been on it for quite a few years now and still not leaking, iirc I keyed the surface up with some fine wet n dry then degreased the outside several times to ensure completely clean and dry. If you can get hold of it PPG aerospace semkit 1422 B2 PRC you would need to follow instructions exactly,( it does turn up on ebay sometimes ).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    costel1969 and stevec like this.
  15. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all. Struggling to fix my dreaded plastic swirlpot, has anyone ordered anything from fmic. Eu? Found a black aluminium 1.3litre swirlpot, type 040 fuel pump mounting and 3 fuel inlets on their website for a very reasonable price. Yes i would have to order a fuel filter bracket as well but it all looks very do able and a lot more reliable than this plastic thing!
    Thoughts?

Attached Files:

16. rubjonny

will do the job nice, bnut personally I would get mk3 tank setup much simpler and less to go wrong

17. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was leaking fixed it but after 3more years started to leak again so got one of the alloy ones fitted new pump it had lasted 30 years hopefully won't have another problem.

stevec likes this.