Golf gti v golf gtd v the leon Cupra 280 v Leon fr 184

Discussion in 'Mk7' started by Cejsmith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Cejsmith Paid Member Paid Member

I've been looking at the above Ian's as I do 25 k a year, I've have a head v heart thing.

What are people get mpg wise out of the gti and gtd in mixed driving and do people think they are worth the extra over the Leon's?.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

One for the owners of MK5s to 7s on here.

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Got my GTD mk7 with DSG 2 weeks ago and I'm just coming up to 1,000 miles on the clock. I nearly went for a Leon FR 184, however the Golf GTD came with more equipment as standard from memory (i.e. you get DAB radio and Xenon lights as standard) whereas in the Leon you need to opt for the tech pack to get DAB radio and the LED headlights. Plus the standard FR 5 spoke alloys on the 184 look a bit plain. By the time I spec'd the Leon with 18's, added the tech pack, chose the paint (as didn't like red) and added other items it came out the same as the Golf.

MPG wise, my GTD it's only turning out 40mpg since picking it up, however I'm expecting this to rise once the engine starts to loosen up and the weather warms up as the car is used early in the mornings. P;us I'm trying vary the engine rev's at the moment whilst running it in don't tend to cruise so the car is burning up more fuel that I would be as I was recommended not to use cruise until the engine has done a few thousand miles. I personally expect to get around 50mpg on my daily commute in the up coming months.

Don't forget DSG also apparently reduces the MPG in diesels. But because I do 20K+ a year I went for the DSG for the easy life and absolutely love it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. Southy_GTI Forum Member

I also do about 20k mile PA and am very close to ordering the Cupra 280 Sub8. The discounts on offer at the moment make this a compelling choice over the Golf GTI / R (not to mention its faster for the same MPG)

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sure you will love it
    i have a Leon fr 184
    can't fault it other than the sat nav thinking it's in wolfsburg sometimes lol