Golf mark IV GT TDI engine light/lumpy running. HELP!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by diesel130golf, Nov 18, 2010.

1. diesel130golf New Member

Wondered if anyone knew what might be wrong with my mark 4 golf gt tdi (130bhp)

Just driving it to work this morning, got on the motorway fine but after about 4-5 mins of driving at around 80mph in sixth gear the engine light came on (the little yellow triangle inside a circle with an exclamation mark), as soon as this came on the car responded badly to acceleration as if it were only running on three cylinders or very lumpy. the whole car was shaking quite roughly every time i put my foot on the gas.

i took the next junction and turned around heading back for home. was going to stop and have a look but feared id end up stranded. the car reacted in this same way in every gear. i found if i applied the gas VERY VERY gradually it would accelerate without shaking the car to pieces.

i got it home and turned it off, left it for a minute, and turned it back on.

the little yellow light did not come back on and the car was running fine.

i took it up an A road near me and took it up to 80mph in sixth gear and it didnt seem to have any problems

now im back home and have called in work sick to try and find out whats wrong.

the car has done 165,000 miles and ive had it from 60,000 and changed oil every 6000 - 7000 miles.

anyone know what going on or had same problem???

Many thanks,

Confused golf owner.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

first point of call is to get it plugged in, the ASR syblom has come on as there is a fualt in the ABS, prob cos theres a engine ECU fualt come up but not the light yet!!

have a look at engine section FAQ to see if there any Vag Com / VCDS owners near by

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  3. diesel130golf New Member

Injector unit. anyone know prices or have one for sale?

had a problem with mark IV golf gt tdi (130bhp) last week.

car would run for ten minutes, then engine light would come on and then the car would run lumpy, as if on three cylinders.

had it checked today, fault code: 18074 - PD unit injector; cylinder 1 (N240): electrical malfunction P1666 - 35 - 10. Intermittent.

so it may be the loom thats faulty or it may be the injector itself. guy at garage said injector unit roughly 300. total prob cost 500 for fitting.

does this sound reasonable?

ive heard that if the injector is faulty it will turn off all the others. is this true?

also if anyone has one of these injector units for sale could they post here?

many thanks.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

New post merged to here. Please try and keep the same problem/query to one thread. :thumbup:

Oh, and post in the right section... ;)