Golf mk1 R32 what Gearbox?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Hummel, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Hummel New Member

Hello Guys.

Brand new to this Forum. I read a little different topic about gearboxes strength, weight etc. And decided to join the "club" :)

I have a long term plan to do a golf mk1 R32 swap. After a little google search I found a couple of companies making engine mount Plug and Play. So that's not an issue. Brakes in my country have to be upgraded as well, so thats has to be mk3 vr6 all around. Not an issue.

Then I search Gearbox choices, and that was a different story :o

So the choice is between:VW 02A, 02J, 02S, 02M. I also found some cheap Audi TT Quattro 6 speed FMN, but would does be possible to fit ?

I like the idea of 6 speed but it is not a must, more important that the gearbox will hold the effect of the R32 engine.

So what to look for? Pros and cons ?

02M: 6 speed, strong, heavy, electronic speedo, expensive. Is it possible to buy driveshaft to fit mk3 spindle and mk1 wheelbase? Is the Audi TT Quattro FMN the same as 02M?

02S: 6 speed, weak, cheap, easier to find driveshafts, electronic speedo.

02J: 5 speed, wekd, cheap, easy driveshafts.

02A, same as 02J.

Is the 02S,02J,02A strong enough to hold R32 power? No turbo but around 300 hk 400NM.

Can anyone describe the difference between Audi TT gearbox FMN, and the 02M ?

Best regards Tommy Hummel

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

It all depend largely how you drive it .. for peace of mind go for a 02Q ( an uprated version of 02M )

3. Hummel New Member

Well, the 02Q is even more expensive, and thats only for 4motion, right? That means it also needs to be conversed into 2WD. Money is also an issue ;) Perhaps I forgot to mention that.

Do you say a 02A,02J,02S can't handle 300 hk 400 nm ?? It is hard to explain how I drive, but it have to handle a burn out or 2. But not hard drive all the time.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The 02A from a 12v VR6 or the shorter 02J from a MK4 V5 is the preferred choice for a FWD MK1.

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

thinking outside the box with this equal ish length drive shafts can be had using the 02M and possibly the 02Q when running them 2wd
    though the v5 box is ideal to you needs cheap and plentiful

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Late 02m and Q have internals that are interchangable. I've just stripped both 02m and q to find out the differences and there's not a lot. Main ones are the input shaft bearing support. Early 02m being taper rollers, late 02m and q use a shimmed deep grove and radial support. Forks are steel on the 02q and uses plain bushes on the reverse instead of bearings. Diff and diff PCD are the same so you can use a late black cap 02m 4wd diff housing with an 02q main case.
    Downsides, big, heavy, heavy flywheel, speedo, custom mounts. Stronger than 02a/j/s but fast shifting is a nightmare and always crunch.Can still self detruct even with solid input shaft mod and extra case support.

7. MUSHY 16V

Martin have you any experience of the kit's that make the o2m 2wd that blank the oilways for the transfer box ?
    also do you know about the extension shaft the some vw box's have do they fit the 02m ?

tell me to bugger off if i'm asking a stupid question

8. Toyotec

In a 1200kg 12v VR6 vehicle, and a 1300kg Mk4, the 02A/J can last over 180,000 miles.
    So fitting to a light 900kg vehicle is hardly stressing it.

9. Hotgolf

Sorry mate no, never had to fit the blanking plate as I've just swapped bell housings. Turns out, that even with all the internet waffle that notmany people can actually change the main bearings as they don't have the pullers necessary, so they can't set the preload properly either.
    As for the extension shaft. What shaft lol The only 2 things that I know about are the solid input shaft inserts, or the small spigot extension that supports the input shaft on the crank.

10. MUSHY 16V

my r32 engine has the spigot bearing in the crank as It started out as dsg didn't know you could get a extension for the manual box learn something new everyday lol

I was on about the output flanges I halfheartedly looked into it a while back but to find out would have meant spending money on something I didn't really need
    this the kind of thing I was looking at

6405293_400x400.jpg 272395430_1_644x461_pravaya-poluos-vw-sharan-19-tdi-auy-09b409905d-02n409344e-02n409345-kiev.jpg galaxy_tengely2.jpg

11. Hummel New Member

Thank you guys for your input, there are all welcome.

I think I got my mind of the 02M/Q idea, since there are heavier, more expensive and not that easy to fit.

I will look around for a 02A and 02J, will they fit on a R32 engine ? And what do i need for flywheel, clutch ? The engine started with DSG.

Anyone had info on a Audi TT quattro gearbox code FMN ? I found one pretty cheap.

Again Thanks!

12. Toyotec

Yes. All 10v/12v/20v/24v VR engines have the same bell housing pattern.

You need the clutch components from a 12v VR to worl.

13. Hummel New Member

Toyotec: Thank you. Just to be sure, when you say clutch components, does that include the flywheel ? :) Will it fit the R32 crank?

14. Hotgolf

VR6 10 bolt flywheel