Golf mk2 cooling problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by madman1981, Nov 7, 2009.

1. madman1981 New Member

Hi guys hope you can help.

im currently comming to the end of a restore of my mk2 20vt golf and im having a bit of trouble with the cooling system.
    No matter what i seem to do i cant get the cooling system bleed correctly. Ive tested all the basic bits such as the thermostat which is new (opens fine in boiling water) and when bleeding the system i kept squeezing the pipes etc, but no matter what no heat ever seems to get through to the heater matrix. if i disconnect one of the pipes to heater it has no water in it to start with but then all of a sudden the water starts to flow but then when i reconnect the pipe the system still doesnt flow. The bottom rad hose never gets hot as i think water never manages to get to the thermostat enough well enough to get it hot to ope and eventualy the system starts to boil over.
    i dont remember having this problem bleeding the system when i originaly installed the engine a few years ago. Do i need to just hold my nerve and hope the thermostat finaly opens?. The temp guage gets to around the 3/4 mark before i give up.

thanks in adavce guys

rich

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

im having the same problem with my driver, my bottom hose is luke warm, but ive sqeezed hose, let the cap off for hours, let it run ect ect. the other way ive found that lets air escape from the system is to let it heat up, then crack off the header tank cap, slowly so all the heat and air surges out the tank, this usally for me gets rid of the air lock, then add more water,

3. madman1981 New Member

Just an update to this problem, i found clamping off the overflow pipe helped get all of the air out of the heater matrix and solved the problem. Hope this helps you.