Golf Mk2 Gti 8v Gearbox problem

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by DaveGolf, Jun 21, 2004.

1. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I have cheapass Ron's video. He really should have worn sunblock that day :lol: :lol:

That box looks green to me. :lol:
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

You have the age old worn gearstick mount problem, go buy the repair kit from VW and be prepared for a few hours under your car with a friend :) See here for a complete How2. Easy job, just a bit fiddly, solves the problem of being able to go straight into reverse without pressing down on the stick first.

P.S. surely this should be in the FAQ by now, I'm getting real tired of posting it every time someone has this problem ;)

3. jokermunro New Member

cheers john but as i posted above i've had to have the linkages and bushes etc replaced, i was there when they were fitted so i saw how much of a state they were.

4. damogti Forum Junkie

Click Me

Has now been added to the FAQ section. If these things are not highlighted to us John for adding in to the FAQ we dont always see them!! :)

Cheers ;)

5. Broke Forum Member

Yeah, that is about all of it, aside from basic hand tools I've had for a bit. Those are courtesy of me spending my pension after leaving Federal employment. Feds suck, BTW.

The outer race for the lower pinion bearing is pulled using that internal extractor in pic#2 in my above post, it grabs it nicely to pull it out, but it does suck having to do it twice to set preload.

I really didn't do a lot of research on the DTI, I just figured German made would be of decent quality, so I looked around and found those Mahr units on some website for a decent price. It will only be used to check the diff and pinion end float, for I have no machining capabilities [:^(]

I just got this tool in the mail today, I bought it used, although if it is used, it has been used only once or twice, because it appears brand new to me. :p
    It is a VAG1582 tool with 3 of the attachments for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted it for those diff tapered bearings, instead of that Kukko 2-arm puller, and it works perfectly, grabbing the actual rollers all the way around. It can also be used for some bearings on the 02A trans. I am so stoked about it, I thought I'd share [:$]

*edit* -- the threads on the ram appear to be rusty looking, but that is only the pic, there is no rust on it ;)

Broke
    Edited by: Broke

6. rubjonny

quality stuff :) How about my post on knackered inlet manifold coolant o-rings causing the Pierburg 2e2 to over rev randomly?

7. toyretro New Member

Morning!
    I have got a handy friend who will do the necessary to try and rid my 8V of its second gear crunch.. Please can somebody tell me which bushes I should be getting? And I have been advised to use Redline MTL, is this right and how much will I need? Thanks very much.. Nick

8. rubjonny

how do, heres the guide I put together for the linkage bush replacement, scroll down for the section on how to do the housing under the car if you can get reverse without pushing down on the stick:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?129347

it may not help with the crunching though this is a common issue and may require a gearbox build. Redline MTL has been known to help, you will need 2 litres of it, not cheap though!
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1019-re...al-transmission-lubricant-mtl-75w-80-gl4.aspx

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Bushes as in gear selector bushes? Not ebay!

Oils, I have been recommended to use 2 litres of '90' grade gearbox oil by Hotgolf.