Golf mk2 horn issue - Help!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by LeighG, Aug 27, 2007.

1. LeighG New Member

Hopefully someone can help!

I have a Golf mk2 and the horn doesn't work. After a lot of investigating I have worked out that the brown wire inside the steering wheel is not doing it's job. I have wrapped a wire round the end of the black wire in the wheel and earthed it to the body and the horn sounds.

Does the brown provide an earth? If so, how?

Any leads would be appriciated.

Thanks

Leigh

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

brown should be the live, blacks neutral. Ive got horn issues as well,ive reconnected them both up as how they came off,but when turning on the ignition the horns sounds Constantly,

the metal contact is touching the rim of the steerin colum so im stumped on that

3. LeighG New Member

Thanks. The brown just seems to connect into the steering wheel and that's it. How does it work?!

Tomo, just a check did you put the the metal and sponge thing back in the right way? It would constantly sound if it was round the wrong way. Maybe a bit obvious that one, but I thought I'd ask!

4. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yeah checked that,must be making contact somewhere,also when i turned the steering wheel say left or right it sounds and also pulling on the stalk to wash windows and main beam causes it to sound, the only thing thats not right is the steering coloum it self,where u screw down the indicators stalks to ,3 screw holes in a shape of a triangle,the lower right is missing and the other to are not that tight,just turns, so im thinking that the stalks are not holding down properly cause'ing to much play and touching metel bits on the back of the steering wheel, its all coming off in 2 weeks anyway,so ive got another lock barrel and colum going on,if its still sounding after that then il pull my hair out ! lol

5. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

if its the same as mine then it will work on contact plates and inside the wheel ,when you push the centre it completes the circuit , honk, easy way to check if its the plates is put the black and brown together and see if honks if not then the wiring fault is further down. if it does then their is an issue with the contact plates.

6. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

ps i also have the same issue ie when you turn the wheel it goes off so have assumed that its making contact some where in the colum, so i took the fuse out but need to sort before the M.O.T

7. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

Thanks. The brown just seems to connect into the steering wheel and that's it. How does it work?!

it should click int the other contact plate

8. LeighG New Member

Thanks Jon, see what you think of the below:

"I have wrapped a wire round the end of the black wire in the wheel and earthed it to the body and the horn sounds."

Also, if I take the steering wheel off and put one end of a wire on the contact thing at the bottom of the steering column and the other end on the body the horn sounds. It must be something to do with the brown, as when I hold the wires together the horn gives a feeble clicking sound...

Am I missing a part somewhere????

It's driving me mad!!!

9. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

have you got two plates one conneccted to the part you push and is silver and the other one is set on a plastic plate and is gold in colour

10. LeighG New Member

Yeah, I have the 2 plates, but doesn't work with them, it also doesn't work when I hold the black and brown wires together! When I use a wire attached to the body to make a circuit instead of the brown, it works. So I'm guessing the brown is the problem.

11. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

for sure probably a break further down i would be tempted to put a second feed from the earth for stereo or just a new one to the footwell

But i would check the earth in the engine bay bonnet strap etc. do all of the other electrics work ok ?

12. LeighG New Member

Everything is fine apart from the stereo, but I have replaced fuse no. 4 as the interior light was not working either, but now the light works. Weird. Maybe I will put a feed from the wheel to the body as you suggest or put a button on the dash or under the steering column, but don't really want to do that. Does the horn have to be functional from the 10 to 2 postion on the wheel to pass the MoT????

13. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

not sure to be fair but im sure that they dont go into too much detail and will drive stright on to ramp so if was working when straight would get away with it recon but i wont as when you turn the wheel mine goes nuts so got to sort properly really and i would rather fix properly rather than a bodge ( dont think that it will be too bad a job just cant be arsed )

14. LeighG New Member

I know what you mean, better to have it as VW intended! I may run a new wire to the body through the wheel to keep it looking standard, more hassle but worth it. Then hopefully it will be Mot'd successfully. Thanks and good luck with your similar problem! Although if I were you I'd just get it tested with the dodgy horn as it works in a straight line.

15. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

yeah i may but i suspect that it is something to do with the play in the steering wheel as it moves if you push / pull a little not a lot / must get that sorted though me thinks

Have you done any ubtle engine mods to your motor as im after some ideas

16. Tomo IOW Forum Member

also check the relay for the horn,bently manual says check that 72 i think but il check or if u have haynes or bently

17. LeighG New Member

I think the relay is just for a dual tone horn. I bought a 72 relay and have no where to put it!!! I just have a standard horn. As far as I know the standard horn doesn't have a relay.