Golf MK2 interior controls - what is supposed to light up?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bootsie, Dec 4, 2013.

1. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I noticed that my heater controls in my Golf MK2 16v didn't light up at night even though the clocks in the dash were lit ok. I also thought that the rest of the controls all looked very dark too - but it's been 10+ years since I've been in a MK2 Golf so I can't remember what's actually supposed to light up and what's not. Ah, my electric window switches light up too.
    I've got my dash and interior loom in pieces at the moment (removing an old Clifford alarm) so now seems a good time to sort out this kind of stuff.

Does anyone know which controls should be lit up when the headlights are on?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

The bulb in the heater panel has probably blown. If you are handy with a solder iron you can easily replace it. Dash switches do tend to be dim on the mk2's. There are some LED kits on ebay if you want to replace the lot (including the clocks).

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they all should be the heater panel has a single bulb in that blows plus the ciggy lighter also has one but that always dies as well. the headlight switch bulb comes on with the ignition and so that one is usually blown as well!

4. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Can the bulbs in the switches and the heater module be replaced? I've seen plenty of threads about LED replacements, but I don't want it to look non-standard. Can you still get hold of the filament bulbs, or has anyone replaced them with LEDs that still have the factory green look?

5. rubjonny

the switches are not so bad to do if you're handy with a soldering iron, I did the switches in my mates mk2 with aqua green leds which looked pretty smart.

the heater panel is a bit more fiddly but still doable, if you can pop the back off you can get to the bulb to replace it but sometimes the rear plastic is very well stuck down and wont split off without damage, some just pop right off easily pot luck!

one option I went with was to carefully hacksaw off the plug socket flush with the back, this left me with a nice round hole to replace the bulb with an led, i buffed the end to help diffuse the light better. I also added a 2nd led to the side as it was a bit uneven, tricky but worth it in the end.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

The switches have green filters in them and LEDs will make the switches brighter.

7. rubjonny

depends how you make em, plus what leds you use ;)

we used dimmer leds and sanded the ends to diffuse the light better, looked as bright as stock units. we compared the brightness to my wifes old mk3 polo which was uber low milage and had hardly ever been driven at night by the looks of it (plate light holders not melted, headlight switch light not blown!) the switch lights are actually supposed to be pretty bright, just mk2 bulbs are usually a bit blackened with age these days

8. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Took the foglight switch apart last night to take a look. There's not much room in there for an LED and a resistor! I'd replace the bulb with one of the same sort if I could source them, but 4mm wire-ended bulbs seem near-impossible to find.

9. rubjonny

the trick is to burn out the middle of the bulb holder post with the soldering iron, then the resistor will fit down there. 5mm led still a tight fit but will go, 3mm led give you more room :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  10. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

And did you use "normal" LEDs or Super-Bright ones? I'm trying to keep the OEM look so not sure which type to use, and whether to go with white or green bulbs.

11. rubjonny

normal, super bright would be a bit overpowered!

its a tricky one for colour as with the filters white leds would put out whiter light than the stock bulbs do so wouldn't be quite the right tint.

12. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

May try a normal strength green LED then. I've seen them with internal 12v resistors so that might help keep things neat in the switch. I'll see how it fits and how it looks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  13. dub303 Forum Member

I put a normal brightness LED in mine and it isn't very bright. I thought it had blown but you only notice it when you look hard or if really dark. Might be worth trying both in the car before fully clipping it all back together if they are only pence, but I prefer that than over bright.

My electric window switch lights just needed re-soldering and worked fine since.

14. rubjonny

yeah you really need to fine tune the position of the LED it makes a big difference as the light output on them is veery directional. you can end up with hot spots too in this case try buffing the tip slightly with fine grit sandpaper at first, then gradually buff a bit more till the desired light spread is achieved.

15. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I bought a few green 12v LEDs from Maplin yesterday as a trial, one 3mm superbright green, one 3mm standard and a 5mm standard. 5mm is a little too big to fit without hacking the switch about. The two 3mm LEDs appear absolutely identical brightness so I'm not sure if the kid in Maplin made a picking error. None of them are really visible from the front of the switch no matter where I position them. I'll try grinding the front of them to diffuse the light slightly but I'm not sure they're bright enough to begin with. I've also just bought a bunch of 4mm filament bulbs from eBay via China (seemingly impossible to source in Europe) so I'll resort to those if I can't get the LEDs looking right.

16. rubjonny

will try to take a pic of mine to give you an idea if i remember :thumbup:

17. solaris

solaris Forum Member

That re-minds me I need to check out my heater panel. I swapped it out with a spare and it still doesn't light up...what are the chances that both panels had blown bulbs?

18. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Pretty good it seems, by the number of threads going around asking how to fix them.. ALL of my switches apart from the windows have blown bulbs in them.

19. rubjonny

this is how I make them, the led is then tweaked so that it fits inside the switch. You can just make out the resistor sat in the bulb holder in the pic, note some switches have a lump of plastic inside to direct the light this can be popped out if its in the way:
    [​IMG]

20. hal8100 New Member

If you do an ebay search for "12v grain of wheat bulb [colour]" there are various options at low prices. I'm not sure about how bright they are going to be though, as they don't all mention their ampage. I might get one to replace the heater panel light, but the equivalent brightness in a switch may be too much, if it's to match the other, fairly dim ones. Maybe the switches incorporate a resistor already, or the green diffuser also acts as a dimmer...