Golf mk2 ryder 1.6 8v top speed?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jamie8286, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jamie8286 New Member

Hi guys/girls i was just wondering wot sort of speed should i be gettiing out of my golf ryder. it seems like 5th gear just isnt doing wot it should be doing. I may be wrong but it just seems like a cruzing gear...... it has a exhaust on it and 16" MOMO alloy wheels

Is there any cheap way to get more power out of it. i heard of putting a gti cam shaft in it but dont want to go over top as its my first car. and realise its only a 1.6 8v.

any help/hints would be grate thankyou

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Top speed, i bet, is approx 105mph - the long drive of the 5th gear is the biggest hinderance! Could gain a little more power with a weber 32/34dtml carb and bolt-on panel filter, alongside a gti camshaft.

3. R1dazza Forum Member

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I used to have a Golf Ryder and don't recall taking it much over a ton but it felt like there was plenty left in it at that. As you say, bigger wheels and tyres may have 'over geared' it? :)

5. toddygti Forum Member

mods

GTI camshaft, downpipe and exhaust system make a fairly surprising difference on those things... after that, I'd do the carb.

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I've had my 1.6 8v over the indicated 120mph obviously this isn't going to be the same as actual speed but it's definately more than 105mph

weber carb, gti cam, k&n bolt on filter, straight through exhaust, gti 8v downpipe

its not fantastic but shows u can get that bit more out of the 1.6

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

as far as prices go

gti camshaft can be picked up free .. I got a whole gti 8v head for free.. maybe that wud further improve my 1.6 engine lol but thats heading towards having not much left of the 1.6

"yea m8 best way to get power from 1.6 is to swap to gti head (block injector holes), and swap the bottom end to a 2L, then u have a much better 1.6" lol

weber carb conversion = 300 ish from C and R enterprises
    if you fancy doing it yourself then they can be bought off ebay

Weber 32/34 dtml --> 50 - 200 quid (depending on whether it's old or has all the bits)

I got a new one off ebay still in the box.. it was meant for an audi 80 but it works fine for me lol

Weber carb (albeit for astra mk2 on here) = 235

http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/en-gb/dept_635.html

[​IMG]

and the bolt on K&N = 57

as for the exhaust... it can cost a fair bit to buy GTI 8v downpipe and full system front to back brand new

you could buy gti 8v downpipe which shouldn't be more than 80 then get any stainless steel system that is intended for GTI 8v

tho I would avoid really big bore systems

if someone could give a rough price for the stock GTI 8v exhaust.. thats probably the best bet

8. dubst16v Forum Member

and cost a fair bit less just to buy an 8v gti lol

9. Joe_G Forum Member

The 5th gear is just a cruising gear, you'll only reach the top speed in 4th.

4th in the driver is about the same ratio at the 5th in a GTI ........

Joe

10. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

cruising gear? I suppose but I don't think it's unusable and I reckon I can get a higher top speed in 5th than in 4th.. maybe stock drivers don't have the power to reach higher speeds in 5th than 4th... (and isn't this why theres the golf 4+E 4 gears plus economy gear?)

so im in fourth and ive run out of revs (rev counter & engine note say so)
    change to 5th, and engine speed drops and allows the car to accelerate further

I thought it was something like
    1st, 2nd,3rd - engine speed is greater than wheel speed
    4th gear - engine speed and wheel speed are similar
    5th - engine speed is lower than wheel speed

110 mph - 177 kmh = 177,000 mh =
    V = 49.2 m/s
    wheel + tyre diameter (15" 195 45 used) = 576mm = 0.576m
    wheel = 85.42 rps = 5125 rpm
    my engine at about 170kmh = revs in 4th = about 6200rpm could get exact figure later ;)
    soo change to 5th and revs go down to about 4000

you can still use those 2000rpm provided the engine has the power

11. bbs_gti_owner New Member

um that aint really true is it, of course your going to reach more in 5th

12. Joe_G Forum Member

Nope, not if your top speed is at the engine speed in 4th where peak power occurs. If you change into 5th, you've now got the same drag on the car (due to air resistance) but you've dropped below the point you make peak power so you'll slow down.

It's basically whether you can rev out the engine in 4th, in a driver 6000 rpm is about 120MPH (was in my mates driver anyway) so you wont be able to hit the rev limiter in that gear, you're just limited by the top speed where car power output to the wheels = air resistance + firctional and load losses.

Joe

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

"not if your top speed is reached in 4th"

my driver makes top speed in 5th lol

uses up all the revs in 4th

a stock driver reaches top speed in 4th

14. dave18 Forum Member

hey bud just having a look around and found this thread, I have a 1.6 EZ with webber carb, full 4-1 Stainless exhaust system, GTi Cam, and i have had it up to 98mph with 3 of us in it and boot full of lugage speed was with Sat Nav.

As for the 5th gear its kind of a mix gear, If you want to power past a car drop it and use 4th if you are happy to build speed up use 5th

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 4+e box is different to a 'normal' 5 speed box, as said in a 1.6 you go faster in 4th than in 5th becasue the 1.6 lacks the power & torque to pull in the e gear since its so tall. Fastest I got was 110mph going downhill in mine :lol:

The e gear is awesome for economy though (funily enough), I'd fit one to my 2y box but it wont go in without modification.

16. sam-ski Forum Member

My drivers kicking out 82bhp at the wheels, thats with a weber, a gti cam and a K&N panel filter.

i managed 125 (which was technically off the clock) in 5th gear!

fun times.

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

top speed all comes down to power, gear ratios and wind resistance. I had all 3 workin against me in my boggo 1.6 ;)

18. thegave Forum Member

My 5th gear is crap :( I decelerate every time I shift up into 5th.

How do you know if you have a 4+E or normal 5 speed box? I have a 1600 Driver but I changed the box recently to one that was meant to have been out of a 1800 Driver.

19. erantomer Forum Member

1.8 driver is also 4+e.
    you can look underneath the car to see what code is stamped on the bell housing.

20. EZ does it Forum Member

Have a look here. If your trans code is one with a 0.71 or 0.75 ratio for fifth thats going to give you the e feel. Gti boxes are more like 0.89 / 0.91. Its also worth paying attention to the final drive.