Golf MK3 16v Exhaust

Discussion in '16-valve' started by King Prawn, Feb 12, 2015.

1. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

Hi Guys!

My exhaust has rusted to buggery and I really want to replace it with an original version. The exhaust currently fitted to the car seems to be the 8v version, two small pipes bent downwards. Is this also the original exhaust for the 16v as I thought it should have two slightly bigger straight pipes out the back.

If anybody has any pics of their cars or advice I would be greatful.

Ah, also I want to keep the car standard so not interested in a stainless replacement.

Jon

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it helps the mid box is the same as a vr6 one, the front pipe and backbox differ. i think they're both the same fitment, but lookign at it the vr has a silencer on the front rather than a straighrt pipe like the abf, and im pretty sure the back box is same just different style tips? i cant help you with what the oem style is for a 16v but here are the part numbers: (all NLA unfortunatly!)

1H0253203H - front pipe
    1H0253409D - mid box
    1H6253609Q - back box

If you suspect its got an 8v system its easy to tell, the 8v ones are 2" from the mid box back and 16v/vr are 2.25" from the cat back (8v front pipe is 2.25" on cat end, then 2" on mid box end)

3. SimonG Forum Member

Dependant on year, a p/n for the rear box is shown below, see my signature. I want one! I believe this is the later style and is no longer available from VW. I'll try and dig a pic out of the silencer.

4. SimonG Forum Member

This is what the silencer should look like. I can't find the pic of the rear of my car before I purchased it, think it's on my own laptop. It just shows the style of tailpipe before it was removed and replaced with some stainless system with oval tailpipe thing (not to my taste) which will be coming off by a previous owner.

[​IMG]

VW classic parts, http://www.vw-classicparts.de/shop/ are selling both 'Q' and 'AG' versions now at 300 plus euro each :o but the 'AG' version seems to have no trims on the tailpipe according to the image on their site.

However, there is a cheaper alternative, IMASAF produce a version very similar to the original 'AG' version with the tailpipe trims but you would have to purchase one from the continent. I've seen them on German ebay for around 120 delivered which seems good value compared to what's available from VW Classic Parts! This is the route I may have to take. Quality from IMASAF seems to be quite reasonable according to Fiat and Alfa owners, probably outlast their cars lol

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aha so it is, pics of either of em are thin on the ground!

6. SimonG Forum Member

Indeed they are thin on the ground. I've looked and looked but I did find a decent image of a low mileage Anniversay 16V and it was the same style (although the image has disappeared now. So at least I knew what I was looking for and later, I managed to find some info on IMASAF who produce the rear box above.

I can find an image of an 8V Anniversary rear box easily with the similar trims.

7. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

Thanks for the reply chaps.

However I ended up getting one new from ebay at a bargain price. NEVER AGAIN!!! Peice of useless crap!! Got a refund on that one and didn't have time to sourse another before the MOT due date so we just have to wait and see what the garage fits?

Still, all sorted now, new exhaust, new MOT, time to sell my beautiful car :-( Still, it's in great condition and has less than 80K miles on the clock with full leather, so it should sell easy as pie for a good price!!

Thanks again for your replies chaps!