Golf MK3 2L 8v Engine swap/conversion

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Soul, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Soul New Member

Hey guys!:):)

I'm new to the club and in need of help.

Im driving a VW Fox 1.8L 1992 model carburetor, and want to swap the engine for a golf MK3 GTi, 2L 8v engine:thumbup:. I need help in getting the right assistance to make this possible. I am a VW fan but i know little when it comes to swapping engines.
    I havent got the engine yet but did some research on it. The ADY or AGG engine seems to be the right engine for the swap that will fit my budget.

1. Firstly i would like to know if the swap will be possible without having to change any engine mounting possition on the car. Will I be able to use the gearbox, starter and CV joints on the new engine, or do i have to get a new gearbox and CV joints for the new engine.
    2. I would love it if someone could give me a list of stuff that I would need to change on the car to support the new engine.
    3. The new engine is fuel injection... What are the extras that will be needed to support the fuel injection engine. eg. ECU, fuel lines, wiring looms, etc

I would highly appreciate any advice on this swap from any.
    Thank you,

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1-2. chances are yes, all the old parts will bolt to the new engine, including the engine brackets, gearbox etc. got any pics of your engine bay?

3. get the ecu and complete engine wiring loom from the donor, and take the complete fusebox if its there for spares and all its control relays which you may need for yours. Plus if its newer than 1995 get the immobiliser box, chip/key and immob box wiring loom too. you should also take the diagnostics port wiring and the jumper block out of the car as well. the p[ort has 2 wires tapped to the dash harness, snip those off at the splice point. the other 2 run straight to the diagnostics jumper get those without cutting and the block connector too. you should end up with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the black wire to the immobiliser box needs an ignition live from your dash somewhere, im not sure what fusebox it has but if its CE2 then look at the D plug pin 8, 9 or 11, or G2/4. If its CE1 then G spade 2 or 5 will do, or D/2 or D/7
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?219775

you'll also need to get a fuel pump fitted somehow, not sure what the options are on a fox? plus power it up. if you have a full donor mk3 pull the rear loom and unwrap the loom from the pump to plug M on the fusebox to drop into your car. then it'll either p[lug in, or be useful to tap to your fusebox if not. grab the fuel lines form it too, they'll probably be useful!

as for splicing to your car that would depend on what fusebox it has, hopefully its CE1 or CE2 then we can help, if its something else then it would be a little more tricky :lol:

3. Soul New Member

Hi Rubjonny,

I cant seem to be able to load pics of my engine from my phone...cant seem to get it right.

Between the two ECU's which one is best CE1 or CE2. I was thinking, wont it be easier to use the entire wiring of a golf mk3 to make things more simple.

I currently dont have a donor mk3 and was thinking of getting the fuel lines of one. What about the fuel tank, can i leave it or should i get one of a mk3.
    I was gonna go for the fusebox and ECU of a mk3, if its a good idea.

4. rubjonny

if i had the choice between ce1 and ce2, it would be ce2 every time ;)

if you can find any petrol mk3 as a donor that will have everything you need for the interior and lighting loom, its just the engine loom that needs to be abf, same goes for the fuel lines, same for all petrol mk3. grab the filter carrier from under the car too. fuel tank I wouldn't have thought would fit a fox, but then I dont really know anything about them so they might :lol:

if you can I would deffo pull the ecu and loom out of the mk3 16v to run your engine for sure :thumbup:

5. Soul New Member

Then ce2 it is...

Thanks hey.

Will get back to you if i get stuck or need more info

6. Soul New Member

Hi Rubjonny

I forgot to ask u about the fuel pump, what fuel pump will work for my conversion since am going to use my current fuel tank bcause the mk3 tank wont fit on my fox.

Will an asian donor mk3 also do to to get the engine wiring loom and stuff.

(Can you please please please show me how to attach pics ??????????????)

7. rubjonny

you need a pump capable of supplying 80litres per hour at 3 bar, if you can get them over there the mk2 main pump under the car is a neat package with an integral swirl pot. then all you need to do is supply it from the old tank outlet using a suitable feed pump, a facet for example, or a lifter pump dropped into the tank. again amk2 golf one may fit, depending on the size of the hole in the top of the tank.

you may find the mk3 main pump setup fits into your tank even, if its late enough it might use the larger hole. trouble is the mk3 pump needs to lock to the bottom of the tank into a cradle, if yours doesnt have that then its not really suitable. a mk4 pump would drop in, but you would have to change the level sender for the old one or a mk3 upper somehow, as the mk4 one works in reverse (nothing is ever easy eh!)

there might be an easier way to do it, but since I dont know much about the fox or how its setup its tricky for me to advise. was the fox ever available with fuel injection? if so those would make a good donor but you would need to check the main pump is man enough, and if not source bits to sort it. For example SPI pumps are weak, but often they are similar to proper injection pumps so easily upgraded.

with pictures you can upload them to a suitable picture host such as photobucket or wherever, or if you got to advanced editing theres a button further down the page you can use to upload pictures to the forum direct, though not sure if you need a certain number of posts

8. Soul New Member

I actualy wanted to fit a pump that will not have changes made to my current fuel tank. By my understanding, you mean i can get the mk2 main pump with the a fuel feed pump and just set it up(love it). But will first see if i cant get one that can fit into my current fuel tank.

Yes, the fox did come fuel injected and ran the CIS injection system(see images) but i dont think that the ADY engine will run is good with a CIS injection set up, or will it.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. rubjonny

the CIS fuel setup will be fine, all you'll need to do is convert it to push fit fuel lines using a barbed banjo adaptor then it'll work with plastic/rubber fuel injection hose. or run the cis fuel lines to the engine bay and put your barbed adaptors there.

the pressure and flow rate is way higher than digi injection needs but the fuel pressure regulator will just dump the excess back to the tank :)

10. Soul New Member

:thumbup:
    Thanks yet again