Golf mk3 owners...advice please.

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by jk**, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jk** Forum Member

Hi, im looking into buying either a mk2 golf gti 16v or a mk3 golf gti 16v. Ive already had a mk2 so i know enough about them now, but i was wondering what do i need to look out for on the mk3's when going to look @ one?

Thanks in advance. Jk. [:*:]

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Pretty much the same mechanics as in parts fail just the same as each other.
    Early Mk3s are more prone to rust than the later ones,tailgate and wheel arches etc.

3. mexicorich Forum Member

Mk3s are just the same but weigh so much more which then makes them very different indeed! Nice and quiet though in comparison

4. g_singh Forum Member

i have both at the moment, a 1990 mk2 16v and a 1997 mk3 16v.

both great cars, mk3 is more refined, solid and comfortable.

mk2 looks better imo and feels a lot more lighter and nimble!

i need to sell one of them as i cant justify having both, but trouble is they are both great cars!!!

5. golfjunky

golfjunky Forum Member

ive owned two mk3's an have found the only problems are little bits of rust
    on the sills and under the arches, look for signs of water getting in aswell
    i.e. rust under the seats etc. good luck man...

6. lewiscypher Forum Member

Check rear suspension bushes, you tend to hear a knocking sound and handles is **** if they arent right, not hugely expensive to sort out ( depending whose doing it)

standard suspension pretty marginal when new and grim with some miles/wear, so if its on original shocks budgetf or an upgrade sharpish, set of konis will transform it beyond all recognition.

Brakes are very strong expecially late 288 mm ones so if it doesnt pull up well expectsomething wrong

make sure the airbag and abs warning ligth come on and go off after starting, if they dont come on at all theres something up, if they stay on- well thats obvious

check sunroof is ok, nightmare if it goes wrong or better still get one without

Cable Gearshift will take some getting used to after a mk2, which is like a rifle bolt, the mk3 change requires a deliberate action , you cant rush it, but once you get the hang of it its ok, you tend to leave it in gear anyway and use the revs

its a good car , I have a mk1 2 and 3 and while I like time in the earlier cars im always pleased to get back into the mk3 its a good drive and not as much hard work

ignore the bad press/reputation, its a load of balls IMHO

Ive had two mk3 gtis (8&16v) and loved them both

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  7. Bundles Forum Junkie

Couldn't agree more tbh.

Also check that the heater works, if not then the heater matrix is screwed and is a total pain in the ass to change, eveything in the front half of the car needs to come out. they are reknowned for blowing the radiator hoses when the heater core is clogged too. Might be worth checking the front wishbones are straight, they are like toffee tbh.

8. DubSi Forum Member

Halleluyah - The 8v is worthy of the GTI badge after all :clap:

9. misteralz Forum Member

No it's not.

10. f.e.a.r New Member

Also check the 2 lights on the side of the dash - ABS and Airbag - to the right of the steering wheel. When you start it up they should both light up and then go out in a few seconds. The ABS sensors failing is a common problem on Mk3s - the previous owner of mine had 1 replaced to the tune of 115 before selling it. Good luck with it....

11. Bundles Forum Junkie

That's a matter of opinion, an 8v may not be as fast as a 16v or a VR6 but they can still shift. I had a 16v, then got my 8v a few years after and it's just as much fun to drive as the 16v was out on the road, the only time you REALLY notice it is when you're thrashing it through the gears in a streight line.

If you've had both, fair does you're welcome to your opinion, if not, STFU!

12. lewiscypher Forum Member

As with the mk2 8 v vs 16 v debate it depends how you like your power served, the 16v is ultimately faster but you have to work it hard

the 8v is the flexible allrounder and is easier to drive and simpler to maintain, better on fuel, it
    depends what the cars going to be used for,

its a while since ive driven an 8v valve mk3, but it was a pretty good allrounder as I recall but it struggles a bit with the mk3 body, I can recall how much faster the mk2 8 valve felt by comparison ( i had a mk2 after a mk3)

the mk3 16v is a very characterfull lump mind you, I probably prefer it if the two, it makes a fantastic sound on song but you tend to be hitting the rev limiter to get the best out of it ( I hit it most days) fuel economy hovers around 31mpg

but the 8 valve shouldnt be dismissed as a daily driver it has a lot going for it and very reasonable these days.

A mk3 tdi with a few gti upgrades would be my next choice tbh

13. jasonmc Forum Member

iv had mk 1,2,and,3 gollfs,now have bora tdi, the only one i miss is my mk3, with some carefull suspension mods and a brake upgrade you'll be chasing volvo t5's polly bushes r a must cant recomend them enough

14. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

check there is no masses of pink liqid stuck on the pipes below the main head (coolant) as this is normally means a ****ed gasket - approximate cost for replacement is about 300

check the exhaust as well, as on any MK3 they are prone to rust, and i have just had to replace mine.

thats about it from me

hope it helps

15. DubSi Forum Member

Well said. As i've stated before i previously owned a modded scooby running approx 300 bhp. I would describe that car as "fast" ( as in, kick in the guts fast). My 8v Anniversary i now own i would describe as "nippy" ( as in, enough poke for daily driving with decent fuel economy ). I am baffled when people say they're not worthy of the GTI badge. Surely VW know which car to put a badge on ?

16. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm 90% certain the mk3 8v was only badged as a GTI in the UK to shift extra units....personally I'd say the 10+sec 0-60 kills the image, the same with the NA mk4.

17. DubSi Forum Member

[:s]

What exactly is the 0-60 supposed to be?

18. suttonval Forum Member

MK3 GTi 8v - 10secs
    MK3 GTi 16v - 8 secs

19. Dom16vanniv New Member

Go for the MK3. If you have a later one, you get all the luxury items in as extras too. A/C, sunroof, electric/heated mirrors.

MK3 = Luxury, MK2= not quite as luxurious (but still wouldn't say no)